Go Back   Shipping History > Members Area > Say Hello

History of Wyuna

Old 7th July 2019, 02:22

History of Wyuna

Hi all, I remember sailing on the Wyuna around 1974 from Melbourne to Geelong when I believe it was in private ownership. The official history has it that it was replaced as a pilot ship around 1972 and held by the Port Philip Sea Pilots until 1979 when it was sold to the Australian Maritime Society.
Can anyone enlighten me about its history from 1972 to 1979?
I am sure I remember that a young chap ‘Scott ‘ was in charge of it after his father purchased it. It was moored in Melbourne for about 12 months where they ran maritime classes.
Old 7th July 2019, 05:48

A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 11th July 2019, 02:13

G'day Wyuanaquery
I have fond memories of boarding/unboarding the pilot from the Wyuana from my China Nav days in the early 70s. She was sold to Australian Maritime College in Launceston in 1979. She had a couple of other roles after AMC and is now moored at the Westernport Oberon Association's facility in Victoria. Here is a Wikipedia link with the details. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyuna
Cheers
Old 13th July 2019, 00:45

Hi Jmilcon,
Great to hear. The Wikipedia history seems to be copied everywhere, but there is no actual mention of who owned it after the Sea Pilots began using launches around 1972 as I said in my introduction. I wonder when you last boarded it as a pilot? I am not a nautical person, I was in sales of wet sandblasting equipment and the owner was enquiring about some restoration around 73/74. I may be mistaken, but my memory tells me it was the Wyuna.
Old 13th July 2019, 01:25

Wyunaquery,
I should have read your original post in the "Looking for information on shipmates, ships etc" thread first, then I would have realised that you already had a fair bit of detail about the Wyuna. I wasn't a Port Phillip Sea Pilot but a navigating officer with the China Navigation Company (3rd/2nd Mate). I would suggest contacting the Port Phillip Sea Pilots directly and asking the question of them. Good luck with your research!