Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Vintage Vehicles, classic cars etc...

Vintage Vehicles

Old 27th April 2017, 20:54

When the Ford Capri first came out they were the Mutt's Nuts. The local garage had one, everyone went to check it out. It then wasn't seen, apparently the man had parked it outside his house, slammed the front door of the house as he went in, the snow slid off the roof and flattened it a bit.

We had a technician with a 3 litre Capri, that was quite fast, to say the least.
Old 27th April 2017, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G View Post
1961 Rover T4 experimental. Its performance by today's standards would be pretty tame with a 0 to 60 of 8 seconds - But good back then and the engine was used in the Rover BRM Le Mans cars

Used a modified P6 body 2 years before the P6 was first sold.
The acceleration may not have been fantastic, but it had a high top speed.
In 1963-4 I was cruising up the M1 at about 100mph in my TR3 (as you did in those days) when I was caught and passed at a great rate by this car. Very quiet and a whiff of paraffin gave a clue to what this 'secret' vehicle was.
Old 28th April 2017, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
When the Ford Capri first came out they were the Mutt's Nuts. The local garage had one, everyone went to check it out. It then wasn't seen, apparently the man had parked it outside his house, slammed the front door of the house as he went in, the snow slid off the roof and flattened it a bit.

We had a technician with a 3 litre Capri, that was quite fast, to say the least.
My Dad had a 3 litre Capri and yes it was very fast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capri 3000 GT XLR 001.jpg (90.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 28th April 2017, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post

Fast yep, John. I had 2. 3ltr Capri - a 3000E 1971 and the later shape 3000GT, and even though the latter had the uprated (slightly) Essex V6, the earlier one was faster 0-60. A bit lighter I suppose.
The later one was pinched outside my house and used in a ram-raid!! They also got my packed lunch for the morning shift!! I got it back in a sorry state but the insurance covered the repairs, including face-lift bonnet (hood) and quad headlight front end, in return for me doing the re-spray.
The Achilles Heel of the Essex V6 was the fibre toothed cam gear - it'd strip and wreck the valve gear. You could get an all steel one aftermarket though. Ford should have created a repair kit with that, new rockers, pushrods and valves. (lol)

JJ.
Old 28th April 2017, 15:06

One of my wife's friends had here car stolen and used as a get-away car. It was a very nice 2CV Bamboo, these guys know what to pick.
Old 30th April 2017, 15:25

The French seem to come up with a car more appealing to the Joe Bloggs of this world in adventurous styling continuing today and in the past eg Simca Aronde or sporty Renault Floride/Caravelle which reminds me of the retort from Ettoire Bugatti when asked about Bentley.. "Bentley make good lorries!" which apparently still in various forms still sticks.
Further up-market I doubt there was anything in the 60's to outclass the looks of a Facel Vega..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x.jpg (121.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg xx.JPG (186.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg xxx.jpg (204.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 30th April 2017, 16:05
Super Moderator

Goodness, from the thumbnails, I would have sworn that the third one was a Mercedes.

........ a closed mouth gathers no feet!
Old 30th April 2017, 16:23

Well you could say that about the bit of talent standing outside as is the name of my neighbour's daughter here.
Wonder what old Adolf would have said while "Sieg Heiling" from his 1932 Merc tourer if he knew the name for his wheels originated from the Jewish daughter of a Daimler Benz customer..
Old 30th April 2017, 16:50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Well you could say that about the bit of talent standing outside as is the name of my neighbour's daughter here.
Wonder what old Adolf would have said while "Sieg Heiling" from his 1932 Merc tourer if he knew the name for his wheels originated from the Jewish daughter of a Daimler Benz customer..
Something along the lines of, "Himmel, arsch und Zwirn!"

........ a closed mouth gathers no feet!

Last edited by Gulpers; 30th April 2017 at 19:07.
Old 30th April 2017, 16:52

Another one of my earlier cars, had the Ford 3 litre V6 in it. I'm sure most of you can guess the car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVR 3000M 001.jpg (208.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 30th April 2017, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Another one of my earlier cars, had the Ford 3 litre V6 in it. I'm sure most of you can guess the car

TVR Tuscan?

JJ.
Old 30th April 2017, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jarman View Post
TVR Tuscan?

JJ.
Almost TVR 3000M
Old 1st May 2017, 08:02

When I've worked out which button to press to 'browse' my own pictures so I can 'select and post', I'll post pictures of my beloved MB ZB Magnette Varitone 1500cc.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:28

Quote:
Something you built yourself?
Old 1st May 2017, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Something you built yourself?
Nope, made in Blackpool
Old 1st May 2017, 17:32

A modern version of the D Type, built for those who cannot afford an original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (205.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 1st May 2017, 17:53

Not many can afford the new one either.
Old 1st May 2017, 18:01

Quote:
Nope, made in Blackpool
Was a bit confused by the back end glass but should have realised it was one of Trev's...
Old 1st May 2017, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadburn View Post
A modern version of the D Type, built for those who cannot afford an original.
Still a stunning design. Years ago I enjoyed a visit to Browns Lane,(before it was sold for redevelopment,) and there were a number of iconic old Jaguars on display around the place. There were XK120's,XK140,s including the coupe that averaged 100mph over 24 hours at Jabbeke, XK150's,XKC's, XKD's, XKE's and practically every model of saloon ever built. There were also a couple of racing cars in the museum, but for me the star of the show was the XJ13. Like a D type on steroids but with a V12 behind the driver. It had been developed for racing, but the class it was intended for changed the rules before it could go into production. There have been some convincing replicas produced for those who have the money.
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:20

Just had a quick Wiki look at the XJ13, very nice beastie, would do well if it was marketed in today's world I would reckon although I would alter the number personally. When I bought a new car under the old reg system I would not have a number plate with 13 on it or one that added up to 13. Yes I know what you are thinking.

Last edited by Chadburn; 2nd May 2017 at 10:24.
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadburn View Post
Just had a quick Wiki look at the XJ13, very nice beastie, would do well if it was marketed in today's world I would reckon although I would alter the number personally. When I bought a new car under the old reg system I would not have a number plate with 13 on it or one that added up to 13. Yes I know what you are thinking.
You're quite right Chad, I thought it was an unfortunate choice of number too. When Norman Dewis was testing it, one wheel broke on cornering and it was seriously damaged in the crash. Norman survived, and is still alive today to talk about it. The car was completely rebuilt, and now belongs to Jaguar/Daimler Heritage Trust. It appears from time to time at shows in the summer.
Old 4th May 2017, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
More from a show I went to a few years ago, not sure what they are, I think the Police sign on the car is a spoof.
The green bus is a London Transport GS class (Guy Special), a small capacity one man (it was always a man then) operated bus for rural routes. many people forget now that LT operated green buses in it's outer "country" area until 1969 when it was hived off and became London Country as part of the National Bus Company. Green Line was also part of LT but was a separate operation to the country buses, being longer distance semi express services.
Old 4th May 2017, 14:54

I clearly didn't move in the same circles as you guys, this was my old 850 mini from the back end of the 70's. Of course I had the bike, but I was starting to feel the cold in the winter at about that time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mini.jpg (168.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 4th May 2017, 16:46

I had a Mini Clubman once, Bob. It was an automatic too, so might have been rare if it ever survived. I left it parked in Exeter one weekend when I did a self drive move of home out of Devon. When I took the hire truck back and collected my car, the staff at the desk told me that there had been some terrible weather over that weekend. I knew they were telling the truth when I opened the door to the Mini and water ran out.
Old 4th May 2017, 18:06

Her indoors had a Mini 850 similar to Bobs and I had no problems driving it, however I had problems driving a five year old Mini Cooper belonging to a neighbour. "Ma feets to big" it would seem they have altered the positions of the stop and go pedals unless it is down to my stout Shoes.