Go Back   Shipping History > Miscellaneous/Other forum Issues > Computers and The Internet

Fatty Windows. Upgrade space.

Old 14th July 2019, 12:00

Fatty Windows. Upgrade space.

I have just managed to get the latest upgrade to Windows 10 to squeeze itself onto my Tablet, mainly by deleting (hopefully to put back again) all MY stuff. I did get one chance before doing this to connect a device with 10 Gigbytes of space, it thought it could manage with that.

What is all this space doing? Cortana seems to be fixed, it won't completely go away, but I have un-installed anything else I can, mainly because it is just bloat. I want my computer to do things I want, not keep adding "fun" things that seem pointless. Could be me...

I remember there used to be competition to slim Windows down, the ambition was to get it on a 640K floppy. Couldn't get the logo on that now.

Last edited by Farmer John; 14th July 2019 at 12:02.
Old 20th July 2019, 14:32

Hiya, I have a small tablet that operates W10 ok though struggles a bit - or more than a bit - with some of the latest updates.
If it's any help, I padded out the memory with an add-in SD chip, that holds all the personal stuff, but most important thing I have found is getting shot of the build up of assorted garbage with regular - and especially just before an update - disc clean-ups and defrags, especially 'clean up system files'. Biggest problem is 'Old Windows Versions' which can take up 15-20 gigs just holding the old system you no longer need. Add to that all the update garbage and you can have a whole lotta memory bunged up doing not very much.
Agree there's a lot of nonsense in the system that may entertain the younger generation but not much use to anyone more 'normal'
Regards

Chas
Old 20th July 2019, 15:26

I have a card with data on, I have set it as the source for some program files too, the rest of your comments on disc cleanups and so on is useful. Thanks.
Old 20th July 2019, 16:27

I'm afraid to, disc clean-ups and defrags, especially 'clean up system files' , in case I bugger things up and loose files & photos. Also am afraid to bring to computer shop in case the bill runs into hundreds. Am resigned to sitting behind a getting-slower Toshiba. Any pearls of wisdom?
Old 20th July 2019, 17:28

Plugin USB drives are cheap, put your photos on one as a copy. I don't connect it to my tablet. I don't really have any pearls, just some old Aniseed balls part sucked, they look the same.
Old 20th July 2019, 18:34

If in doubt, back-up! On my little 8inch tablet, my main travelling companion - got me out of trouble more than once - presently on W10 v.1903 with no problems though some updates did need to be done using USB image.
Clean-ups not to be cautious about, seems to go fine, then follow up with a defrag. Depends how long since it was done but can be very slow. If your beast is getting a bit doddery it can often sort it out.
All my kit, main and portable now on v1903 with no probs.

ChasD