Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Aviation

Do you enjoy flying?

Old 12th August 2018, 11:29

I recall a very memorable flight courtesy of 'Fleet Air Arm airlines', I was in HMS Liverpool in the Arabian Gulf, not long after the first gulf war. My mother was admitted to hospital with a return of her cancer and as it was life threatening, I was granted 1 weeks compassionate leave with instructions to rejoin the ship in Bahrain 7 days later. Our Pilot had agreed to take me ashore in the Lynx in order that I could catch the evening flight to Heathrow.
So at about 1500 we took off for the 20 minute flight for The UAE, however as we closed the land, there was a terrific sand storm ashore and we were forced to land on the deck of USS Fox who was operating close inshore off the UAE coast until the 'dust settled' (the other RN gulf ship being off station in the Gulf of Oman). After a hairy landing in gusty conditions we were given a really strong brew and offered food in Fox while we waited, eventually we got airborne about 2 hours later with the pilot redlining the Lynx - and as we came into the stack at Dubai, he asked ATC for permission to land at my departure terminal - in order that I didn't miss my the Heathrow flight by having to travel from the opposite side of the airfield. Sadly this was denied and we were told to land a fair distance away and then taxi to the terminal, our pilot turned the air blue at the belligerence of the the Dubai ATC and commenced a really fast hover taxi to the terminal (essentially flying but for the nose wheel tickling the Tarmac) - and more worrying - ignoring all of the calls to slowdown and use the correct taxiway......"I am entitled to get lost for f%cks sake" was his disgruntled mumble. I was terrified, but clearly the pilot and observer were having a whale of a time.
I got to the terminal (airside) and was met by an RAF 'mover' on the apron with an airport security chap - who after seeing my ID card, whisked me off to my departure gate and my waiting commercial air transport back to Blighty. They were just about to remove the air bridge as I arrived at the gate (sweating profusely), which they held and thankfully I was allowed to board.
There is no doubt in my mind that without our rapid and terrifying hover taxi antics, i would have missed the flight. Once I boarded the jet - my day was made when I was ask to turn left into the only available empty seat on the aircraft in first class! Result.......thanks to the ships flight!

Nicholas Monsarrat
Old 19th August 2018, 10:49

Recall flying Dan Air DC3 Bristol to Liverpool. Oil from the starboard engine was squirting like rain drops across the Windows. We had a first time flier marine engineer with us who after awhile decided to hit the bell. The hostess asked what he rang for and he pointed to oil steaming along his window. "Don't worry sir it always does that." He replied. "Ye nae foolin me lassie, I'm an engineer. Away and tell the pilot." This she did, we landed safely, but those passenger continuing on to Newcastle had to change planes to a Dan Air Vanguard, which was not the original plan. Never saw our engineer again but often wondered if he took to flying,as he swore that was his last flight.
Old 19th August 2018, 18:02

Yes I always enjoy to make trips by airplanes, I studied in the Chilean Air Force Academy, now I am the oldest lieutenant of the world, I suppose it, not 100 %, I could not begin my commercial pilot career because of my father early passing away, however I still love the airplanes and travels over all from Santiago de Chile to Europe.

Regards

Tomi.
Old 19th August 2018, 23:01

Re.#51 I had a similar experience with a heli pilot requesting the tower to hold a flight as I flew in from a drillship. In this case the heli had to land a long way from the terminal and I had to lug my 20kg toolbag to the terminal. Ground staff had been advised and I was rushed through the terminal to discover the a/c commencing taxing from the apron. Fortunately it was an F28 and the door opened, steps deployed and I was on my way. The heli pilot was left with a large and heavy piece of drilling equipment which should have been on the same flight as myself.
Old 20th August 2018, 07:26

Tomi living in Chile is bit like us in Australia, air travel is a necessity. Have flown to Santiago a couple of times from Sydney. Think LATAM Chile have it down to ten hours from Melbourne to Santiago on the Dream Liner. The flight being a composite great circle, direct and over the ice flows from the Antarctic. The flying bit does not bother me, just the actual airport bits no matter where you go is a pain. However I know it is a necessary pain in todays world of travel.
Steve
Old 20th August 2018, 11:31

Do I enjoy flying? No I do not. After an hour I get the fidgets and my bum goes numb. Has any shipmate a solution to my problem? I would be ever so grateful.
Old 20th August 2018, 13:47

A good book always works for me......sorry

Last edited by gray_marian; 20th August 2018 at 13:51.
Old 20th August 2018, 14:08

Do you sit on it?
Old 20th August 2018, 23:55

Now that made me smile
Old 21st August 2018, 01:13

Engine Serang, this could be a little help, try to always sit next to the window of the plane and enjoy watching the scenery, reading a good book is always a great help or an entertaining conversation is the best, if nothing of this is enough you could try to be relaxed by taking a low dosage relaxant.

Regards

Tomi.
Old 21st August 2018, 03:30

Then sit on the LOO!
Old 21st August 2018, 09:20

On long flights, I used to take a sleeping pill left over after Mrs JJ's hip ops. The trouble was, being asleep for so long, when I woke up I had that stiffy problem and a long walk to the toilet!.......

JJ.
Old 2nd September 2018, 09:04

I think that some people don't like flying because when they reach the airport they see the sign 'Terminal'!

JJ.
Old 2nd September 2018, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Jack View Post
a sleeping pill left over after Mrs JJ's hip ops.
JJ.
I know what you mean, 'Ip 'Op, needs some kind of sedation to cope with it.