Go Back   Shipping History > Miscellaneous/Other forum Issues > Computers and The Internet

HP Photosmart Prem C310

Old 21st March 2021, 20:47

HP Photosmart Prem C310

To produce hard copies of documents, I scan and save the pages as jpeg files. Then I open the saved files and print them. I have done that for years using other printer/scanners and my current HP Photosmart Prem C310 machine (now getting on a bit but still producing excellent print output).

Today I found that I am not longer able to scan and then print the scanned jpeg files. I can open the saved files and read them on screen but cannot print them. All that prints is any faint line corresponding to the edges of the page (top, bottom and sides), the headers and a few cms of text down from the top of the page. The remainder of the text is ignored.

I tried printing directly from the scan and also by opening the scan in Windows Photo Manager but got the same results by both routes.

However I found that if I insert the files into a MS Word document I can see them and print the whole page perfectly (although the text is slightly size-reduced by having to fit a full A4 sheet within the margins of a Word page). Other jpeg documents print perfectly but these newly-scanned pages will not.

Since I can view the scanned file on screen, the C310 must be scanning the full document. Since I can print the same information incorporated in a .doc file the printer must be printing the whole file and the PC must be transferring the entire data content of the .jpg file into Word to create the .doc file. Why will the entire .jpg file not print?

I have also found another .jpg file (attached) that will only print part way down the text - even though the entire page can be viewed on screen. The printed copy only goes down as far as the line "And sentences should not begin with a preposition". This file was not scanned in by means of the C310 but sent to me as an email attachment.

Any explanations gratefully received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Punctuation.jpg (155.7 KB, 10 views)

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.

Last edited by Ron Stringer; 21st March 2021 at 20:52.
Old 22nd March 2021, 03:42

Incompatibility with Windows 10? Have you tried looking for a new driver?
Rgds.
Dave
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makko View Post
Incompatibility with Windows 10? Have you tried looking for a new driver?
Rgds.
Dave

Dave,

It has worked with W10 since that O/S came out, and the fact that it prints other documents including .doc and .jpg is what is throwing me. Have searched for drivers but haven't come up with anything new. Still trying.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:53

Can you scan to PDF, Ron? The app that came with my Epson let's me scan multiple pages into a PDF. If I scan multiple images, it adds a number of page to them. All I have to do is tell it beforehand the name of the file and the directory.

Good luck!

Rgds.
Dave
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:05

Hi Ron what is the program that is actually printing the PDF maybe you need to reinstall it, I would imagine it is probably Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:41

Might be the latest Win 10 ‘update’. Plenty of problems with no solution.

“Windows 10 update farce continues as Microsoft pulls the plug on problematic printing patch”

https://betanews.com/2021/03/21/micr...pdate-rollout/

Last edited by Imrcsparks; 22nd March 2021 at 18:47.
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:04

Well I scan documents using the Windows Fax & Scan program that came with the H-P PC, which was (I believe) using Windows 7 at that time. Every document that has been scanned and saved on my PC has been done that way, which is what makes it so puzzling. Documents that were scanned and saved in the past print without problem. Documents saved today and clearly visible on the PC print preview screen will only print the header and top couple of inches of the page and if there is something in the footer, will print that. But nothing in between.

H-P printer, H-P computer and they have worked together without problems for years, but now some failure to communicate that I can't work out.

Very frustrating.

Old 22nd March 2021, 19:22

[QUOTE=Imrcsparks;38042]Might be the latest Win 10 ‘update’. Plenty of problems with no solution.

Thank you for that, as you say it could well be involved. Some of the problems reported with the update seem quite similar to the problem that I am having ".... elements of documents might be missing ...." or "Printing from some apps or to some printers might result in a blank page or label."

I don't recall applying any MS updates but I have had them self-load in the past when I thought that they were blocked without prior approval, and I see that KB5000802 was loaded on 13 March. Possibly that is causing my difficulties.

Thanks again.

Old 22nd March 2021, 19:54

Try to either roll back or uninstall the last update and see what happens.

Updates tend to be all fully auto nowadays. In Advanced options you can pause them or ask to be told when they are being installed, but not stop them.

I have an elderly,seldom used, laptop which has issues with WiFi caused by Win10 which means I have to manually reset every time I want to use it. - quite a pain.
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:44

Malcolm,

Thank you but if I thought I was smart enough to be able to safely uninstall MS updates I might have a go. However since there seems to be significant reaction to the MS cock-op, there will have to be a further update to put things right and I will leave it until that becomes available. Leave it to the experts (and I'm not one).

Thanks again.

Old 22nd March 2021, 21:38

Ron,

Have you been on the HP support website?:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...s-c310/4023238

Rgds.
Dave
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:39

I only say this, because it detects your operating system and should see the patches.

Rgds.
Dave