Go Back   Shipping History > Members Area > Looking for Information on Shipmates, Ships, Family or Friends?

What Ship ?

Old 7th May 2017, 12:18

What Ship ?

Arthur Irvine, born Lerwick 5/12/1886, buried Suez 1917, he was my mother's elder brother. Cause of death "fever", whether he died shipboard or ashore in hospital is not known. there were a number of military hospitals there at that time. I am interested to know which ship he was serving on at the time. The only ship I'm aware he served on was HMS Illustrious in 1912, as I had a copy of a postcard he sent home at that time, he was probably doing reserve training as he was a merchant seaman. The "Scotland's People" site records his birth but not his death, strangely enough his namesake's death, a nephew, who drowned in Table Bay harbour while serving on the barque Lawhill 1945 is recorded there. His shipmates erected a tombstone. Not really up to searching the national archives, His death is not recorded in the GWGC archives as his death was war unrelated. Hopefully somebody out there can come up with the name of the last ship he served on. I have been curious for a while. Thanks in hopeful advance.
Old 7th May 2017, 14:59

A difficult one Bill.
Was he the son of Magnus and Mary A?

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 7th May 2017, 18:39

Hello Hugh, he was indeed the son of Magnus and Mary Ann, his home address was Wester House, Cunnister, N. Yell. Probably doesn't surprise you, but I thought his name would have been listed on the Register-General's return of deaths as was the drowning of his nephew in Scotland's People. There was a war on, anything could have happened to the documents between Suez and Cardiff. My cousin who was drowned in April 45 had survived having been torpedoed twice in 42, Benmohr and Benalder, his parents believed he had survived the war until the fateful telegram arrived when the war was ending in Europe.. I'm grateful for your help Hugh, the elapse of 100 years doesn't help in the search.
Bill
Old 8th May 2017, 13:53

Is this him? http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8485632 The year of birth is out by a year but that's not unusual. Everything else fits. If it is the right man his record should give you the answers you seek.

Dave W
Old 8th May 2017, 17:35

Thank you very much Dave W
That seems to be him, the family details are all correct but as you say DOB incorrect.
I'll need to get younger eyes to scan the document as between the small handwriting and ink fading after all these years I'm having a job getting my head around it. Some of it is a bit of a mystery, it mentions him on HMS Illustrious RNR, different date from postcard, however he may have served more than once on her. As far as I can make out the last ship listed was the Pennine Range at Suez and reported as "sick" Port Said 20 0/3/14. His father Magnus seems have reported his death at Suez to the Mercantile Marine office Lerwick. So much for the other records listing his death as 1917. Anyway I'll keep working on it, it's the first time Ive gone onto the archives, you've done your share. Thanks again.
Bill W.
Old 8th May 2017, 18:32

Hi Bill,
If you send it on to me I can give it the once over for you if you wish.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 8th May 2017, 19:24

Here is his death at sea record.

Regards
Hugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sueza.JPG (19.5 KB, 29 views)
Paid it in full”
Old 9th May 2017, 15:36

I should have mentioned it in my earlier post, but I think his attestation records, which could prove very interesting, may be held by the Fleet Air Arm museum, Yeovilton.

Dave W