Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Radio Room

Marconi Challenger

Old 2nd August 2019, 11:05
Super Moderator

Marconi Challenger

Michael from the - Internal Fire - Museum of power West Wales has posted a request in the Radio Room on SN. I have copied the post here. He also has a photo of the Radio Room of the Pride of Calais.

Quote:

I'll admit straight away that I am not an ex mariner, but I do look after the Marine Radio Collection at Internal Fire- Museum of Power in West Wales. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has any knowledge or experience or perhaps sailed with the Marconi Challenger. There won't be many as, to my knowledge, Marconi only sold about 12 units fro and 18 - 20 production run.
Its a 1.5KW SSB/CW/MCW transmitter, probably technically the best Marconi made, but a marketing disaster! (too much, too late!) The Challenger we have together with the console came from the "Pride of Calais". We have next to no documentation - with so few units being sold manuals are very rare. The Instruction manual we have is missing some essential pages. The Conqueror, apart form the finals is very similar, some circuits are identical, so the Conqueror manuals have helped. We are within an ace of having it working, and as mentioned above, I would be very interested to hear from anyone with any knowledge, anecdotal or otherwise, of the Challenger. Many Thanks - Michael.

Unquote.

Neville

Last edited by Hawkey01; 2nd August 2019 at 11:15.
Old 4th August 2019, 11:27
Super Moderator

A quick update on my post. I have Michaels's private email so if anyone has anything for him just send me a PM and I will pass his email address.

Neville