Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Nostalgia - Days Gone Bye

Lament for love and pasties

Old 27th March 2018, 17:11

Lament for love and pasties

I have been digitising all my LPs over the last few months and have refound loads of stuff that is quite good. I've also found that what I passed by 50 years ago now has a greater impact. This is a good example. Cyril Tawney's voice does suit the nostalgia, especially now pretty well everything has gone. Nostalgia should be like English Mustard, something to savour that can bring a tear to your eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-0exE2BDM
Old 27th March 2018, 20:00

He came to our school and gave us a live performance, just him with his guitar. A number of folk songs, funny yarns, and of course, "Sally Free and Easy."
Old 3rd September 2018, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I have been digitising all my LPs over the last few months and have refound loads of stuff that is quite good. I've also found that what I passed by 50 years ago now has a greater impact. This is a good example. Cyril Tawney's voice does suit the nostalgia, especially now pretty well everything has gone. Nostalgia should be like English Mustard, something to savour that can bring a tear to your eye.

Wonderful, John. Thanks for that. I've not heard that ballad for 50 years. Used to have it on vynil, but where is it now? Anyway . . . I quite forgotten this lovely piece. So, Thank you.
Old 4th September 2018, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post

I think you are right John, about what 'passed us by' 50 or more years ago. Back about 6 years ago, I happened upon a documentary on TV about Lorenze Hart, the lyricist of Rogers and Hart's work for musicals. It was a sad tale but their music was remembered by showing different artists doing R & H songs. The melodies were all known to me but they came across in a new light and it stirred my interest, even though some presentations were from singers of the '30s, with those very clipped voices from back then. I bought a Tony Bennett CD covering a lot of their songs and I love it although my wife wonders why!

JJ.
Old 4th September 2018, 16:28

I think it might to be with just appreciating things that were automatically disregarded earlier in life.
Personally, I have been listening to an even more extensive range of music than I ever did. Ella Fitzgerald is listened to extensively these days (along with 50 year old Who tracks).