Go Back   Shipping History > Miscellaneous/Other forum Issues > Computers and The Internet

Windows LiveMail

Old 12th September 2020, 20:13

Windows LiveMail

Can someone please advise on this:

A few weeks ago I handed my PC to the only local professional computer business to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10. We have been dealing with them for years and they have always given good service. My PC was updated and works fine.

Shortly after that I handed my wife's laptop to them for the same procedure. When it was returned she was still able to receive emails but unable to send emails, which stick in the outbox for hours and sometimes days before releasing the email. There is a constant error 554 notice in the outbox. The computer business was unable to rectify the fault, stating that it was a fault from our ISP and in the end suggested that we contact the ISP which I did. The technical support man said on the phone that it was because LiveMail didn't recognise the LiveMail settings, which are the same settings as on my PC and the same as have been on her laptop for years.

I have spent hours on the internet going round in circles but cannot find a sensible solution which I can understand, not being an IT boffin.

Does anyone have an answer to this one please, one which a simple soul can understand?

Alick
Old 12th September 2020, 20:29

Windows Live Mail was the email client (software) that came with Windows 7 but still runs with all subsequent versions.

Windows 10 has a new email client called Windows Mail.

Suggest just forget about Live Mail and use Windows Mail, it does the same job.

Click on the 'Mail' Box and it will give you the option to 'add an account' click on that and fill in the boxes.
Old 12th September 2020, 20:57

Thanks Malcolm but where is the 'Mail' box?

Alick
Old 12th September 2020, 21:02

Bottom left, click on what used to be the start button.
Mail should appear as one on the default boxes on screen, if not scroll down the menu.
Old 13th September 2020, 11:22

Thank you Malcolm.

I see the following alternatives: Outlook, Office 365, Google, Yahoo, iCloud, Other account POP, IMAP and finally Advanced set up which leads to internet email. No mention anywhere of Windows Mail.

So I assume that I should go for Advanced set up and fill in boxes with POP3 for incoming and SMTP for outgoing as these are the settings she has at the moment?

No mention of Windows Mail is causing me concen.

I need to be cautious as I am terrified of losing her emails altogether and I'm too advanced in years now to suffer the consequences. I am deadly serious.

Alick
Old 13th September 2020, 14:17

The important part is your email host, the part after the @ .
I would start by selecting Other accounts, I am using an Apple device at the moment but from memory the Windows Mail account only needs your email address and password, the set up being automatic based on the host name.
Mostly they are IMAP nowadays which means that the messages are all stored on the host server. That means that you will not lose them and any undeleted messages are held on the server, they can be recalled on any device you own if you have the address and password.
If you have a POP3 account then they are held only on the device where they were first opened - not so good.
You can add your email account to your wife's computer and vice versa, Messages will show up on both devices.
Let me know how you get on.
Old 13th September 2020, 16:12

Thank you for your advice, Malcolm. I will follow it tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

Alick
Old 16th September 2020, 10:08

Panic over and problem solved. My wife changed her settings in Internet Explorer/Tools/Delete Browsing History and her emails are going out of Windows LiveMail like they always did. I cannot see why or how but she has solved her own problem.

Many thanks for your advice.

Best wishes

Alick
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:33

Windows Live Mail

I seem to remember reading somewhere that various upgrades to windows 10 led to problems with Windows Live Mail, someone suspected that the Microsoft update were designed to make Win Live Mail non functional in order to make windows 10 users use the new Microsoft E/Mail Programme which according to the PC Gurus was no where as good as WLM.

I experienced the same problems as you have described and changed my email programme to Mozilla Thunderbird, I have not had any problems since.

To the best of my knowledge I believe that Microsoft do not give any support now for WLM which is a pity because it was I thought a good programme and did a lot of things its replacement did not do.

Hope you get sorted out

Znord 737
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:16

I agree with you Znord 737. I am just hoping that we can continue with WLM for some time as it usually has no problems.

Alick
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:50
Super Moderator

Greetings Nord737 and welcome to SH. Bon voyage.
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:18

Hi Znord737 welcome aboard. Is the screen-name any connection to One Plus Technology ?

I think that Windows Mail is probably adequate for most users. It is prominent on the desktop and very easy to set up - Probably intentional to encourage take-up.

I also use Thunderbird, have done since first release, but as it needs to be installed and set up I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who's skill set I do not know.