Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Engine Room

Fullagar Engine Maintenance Plan

Old 25th April 2022, 09:35

Smile Fullagar Engine Maintenance Plan

Hello
I am a volunteer at the Faraday Centre in Napier
Along with a colleague who is a marine engineer (I am a civil engineer) we have been working very hard on a long overdue maintenance servicing of the Fullagar engine which the centre owns. I have recently posted a photo of the engine.
The service is almost complete - and before we put the engine back into service we want to implement a formal maintenance plan. The issue for us is that routine maintenance has been lacking for some time and we want to make sure we put something in place that will ensure the engine is well cared for from here out. The servicing has been costly (especially replacing the oil) so we want to make sure that it is many years before a concerted overhaul like we have just finished is required again.

The engine is complete and has been converted so that it "runs" albeit at very slow speed driven by a 3 phase electric motor that drives through tyres pressed against the flywheel. There is no water or pressurised air running into the engine - and obviously no diesel.
The engine has been operating with this drive motor in place for many years so we have no issues with the setup. The only issues relate to ensuring that routine maintenance will ensure that the engine continues to operate for many years ahead.

Visitors to the centre can see the internals of the engine (crankshaft, pistons, gudgeons etc operating through perspex panels bolted over the three front inspection ports. Lights have been installed inside the engine so that the moving parts can be seen clearly.
The engine clicks over at about 20 RPM.

It has been converted to a wet sump with an oil pump drawing oil from the sump and feeding it back in through the main oil entry port. The original oil pump has been blocked off with spades fitted to the inlet and outlet ports. The bank of taps on the oil panel are all turned off and the original sump drain is blocked off. So no oil is running into the oil tank. The oil coolers are in place but oil is not running through them.
We have about 300 litres of oil in the sump that electric oil pump draws from.

We have put together a maintenance plan and I have tried attaching it to this thread - but alas it is too big to download into the thread. I will try putting a jpg image in the gallery but if that doesn't work, anybody who is interested in helping us will have to send me an email address so I can send a copy of the PDF file. We would welcome feedback on the plan from anybody out there that might have operational experience with one of these beasts.

I can post more photos and perhaps a PDF file which explains what we have learned about the current set up if that would help.

Thanks