Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 13th September 2021, 20:54

Between Hoegh Ugland and the St Lawrence is thousands of miles of virgin forest, same-same Plateau de Matto Grosso. It would take him 6 weeks to reach Toronto using machetes' and having pow-wows with Bear Grylls, 80 kgs of luggage will kill him. Big rethink Mr Vee.
Old 13th September 2021, 23:04

Hmmmm, Seems theres plenty to see and do here. Might be a fun place after all.
https://www.expedia.com/things-to-do...%2F2021&swp=on
Old 14th September 2021, 00:27

I don't know whose ECDIS is up a vectored creek but one must be. The one on the bridge reckons on an easy drive of 111 miles. I'll get the itinerant RAMAC man to come and look at the engine room's unit when he's finished up here. At the very least they need to be giving the same wrong information otherwise it will double our chances of hitting something, maybe a synchroscope is needed.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 14th September 2021, 06:49

Up a vectored creek without a paddle. CNN tells me Nuu Hor Leans is under 6 foot of brackish water and that Torr Hon Toe is awaiting the big freeze and the first iceberg of the year. Our new crewman, Autoliner, could use Amtrak after all it served Joe well. Billy tell the Agent to meet him at the Union Passenger Terminal and bring him to the aptly named Basin Street where he can purge his furnace, sorry his content, woops contempt; by treating his shipmates to Southern Comfort and Mint Juleps. Its like the second coming of the Mardi Grass.
Old 14th September 2021, 12:38

Basin street Loo's?? oh the basin street blues! Blues, Jazz, swing all part of my past skills. That reminds me, must get my drum set up from No 2 hold and give it a dusting off, Migh do some jamming with Tmac on his Lambeg.
Old 20th September 2021, 11:58

Phew!! glad to be back aboard. My feet are killing me with all that walking. The museums and ancient churches were well worth a look though.
Steward! man the lounge bar will you theres a good chap
Old 20th September 2021, 13:02

Culture, you can't fuck1ng beat it.
Old 21st September 2021, 04:23

Does E. von Hoegh need to have a uniform fitted? Step into my office. Mind the trapdoor in front of my desk.
Old 21st September 2021, 04:55

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaAnnT View Post
Does E. von Hoegh need to have a uniform fitted? Step into my office. Mind the trapdoor in front of my desk.
Welcome back aboard 'PAT'.
We need every bit of (in)sanity that we can get these days. There are some very senior officer positions available aboard I believe. No doubt you could get to wear one of your own stunning uniform creations up there in the fresh air.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 21st September 2021 at 04:58.
Old 21st September 2021, 07:45

Ah PAT, great to have you aboard again. Looking at your wee foto on the top LH side of your Post you bear a striking resemblance to our Jolly Swagman, are you by any chance related? Perhaps second cousins?
And anyways Tmax needs a new arse in his uniform trousers and Sir vWilliam has bluemould on his jacket caused by constant dribbling. I suggest you pull on a pair of Marigolds and get stuck in.
I'll drop by later this morning and put a few drops of oil ion the hinges of your trapdoor.
Old 21st September 2021, 09:49

Welcome back PAT. I am just about to indulge in a little refreshment in the lounge bar. come join us as we splice the main brace. Cheers.
Old 21st September 2021, 10:12

I’ll drink to that, but then I have been known to drink to anything. Perhaps this in particular.
Old 21st September 2021, 11:22

We'll all have to be a bit more tidy with a lady back on board. I wonder, however, if her trap does not contravene the load-line convention.

Does it drain with a scupper of it's own or do you have to pump it put when you have sufficiently frightened your trapee into whatever nefarious sleeping cabin practices they had not appreciated they would enjoy without persuasion?

The former would be a load line issue. The latter something affecting the stability and I can't see it itemised in either the stability booklet or the loadicator. Perhaps I am looking under the wrong title but 'Certified Dungeon' is certainly not there.

(Wait a mo. a 'Sump tank for 'reciprocating sewing machine lubricant' has turned up, might that be 'it'? - Seams a waste when the space could be used for more port).

Last edited by Varley; 21st September 2021 at 11:25.
Old 21st September 2021, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Ah PAT, great to have you aboard again. Looking at your wee foto on the top LH side of your Post you bear a striking resemblance to our Jolly Swagman, are you by any chance related? Perhaps second cousins?
And anyways Tmax needs a new arse in his uniform trousers and Sir vWilliam has bluemould on his jacket caused by constant dribbling. I suggest you pull on a pair of Marigolds and get stuck in.
I'll drop by later this morning and put a few drops of oil ion the hinges of your trapdoor.

The avatar is Peppermint Patty, from "Peanuts" the Charles M. Schultz cartoon strip.

What's this about a uniform??

Trapdoor?

Y'all are nuts. Feels like home....
Old 21st September 2021, 13:30

The BBC have a weather presenter that I call Peppermint Patty….
https://oldcranbrookians.com/frmProfile.aspx?S=s5538kw
Old 21st September 2021, 13:56

Uniform in the saloon and smoke room everyday if lady-people in the company. Otherwise on alternate Tuesday's of a month with an 'r' in it.

Birthday suits required in the Health and Efficiency bar at all times unless the AC is on full blast and then the minimum is ball-bags and bikini tops.

Tmac is allowed to wear shorts as we need him to keep his boots on until the next batch of stay-fresh socks arrive and he can't get then down the legs of his dress boiler-suit.
Old 21st September 2021, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
We'll all have to be a bit more tidy with a lady back on board. I wonder, however, if her trap does not contravene the load-line convention.

Does it drain with a scupper of it's own or do you have to pump it put when you have sufficiently frightened your trapee into whatever nefarious sleeping cabin practices they had not appreciated they would enjoy without persuasion?

The former would be a load line issue. The latter something affecting the stability and I can't see it itemised in either the stability booklet or the loadicator. Perhaps I am looking under the wrong title but 'Certified Dungeon' is certainly not there.

(Wait a mo. a 'Sump tank for 'reciprocating sewing machine lubricant' has turned up, might that be 'it'? - Seams a waste when the space could be used for more port).

Loadline? Is that like a Plimsoll mark?

The last loadline I had experience with was to do with a vacuum tube voltage amp..
Old 21st September 2021, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
Loadline? Is that like a Plimsoll mark?
No.
If you want to larne what it is may I recommend watching a ship being built on Discovery Channel. After 30 years at sea I didn't know how a ship was built until I watched the Oriana on tv. That Yankee Guy who built a Liberty Ship in 24 hours knew the secret.
Old 21st September 2021, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
No.
If you want to larne what it is may I recommend watching a ship being built on Discovery Channel. After 30 years at sea I didn't know how a ship was built until I watched the Oriana on tv. That Yankee Guy who built a Liberty Ship in 24 hours knew the secret.

I haven't had TV since about 1990. But I know where to get a book!

Henry Kaiser was the Liberty ship guy.
Old 21st September 2021, 17:08

Are you sure E-S? I think the load-line regulations sprang (well emerged anyway) from Plimsoll following Lloyds in-house rules beginning in 1774 (courtesy of a clever young man writing for Turks and Caicos Marine Admin).

From the Plimsoll at least the rules took care not only of the loading of the intact ship but considered closings etc. which might allow water when otherwise loaded safely to the marks. Not too far distant from the prime tenet of Naval Architecture - If the hole is big enough the vessel will sink - although I suppose that is more to do with damage.

Of course this applied to British ships until the international convention (drowned foreigners were not to be considered - unless as cargo, of course) but the Dutch were great seafarers too. I wonder how they developed similar requirements as they must have (surely?)
Old 21st September 2021, 17:54

I have a tried and tested method to ascertain the condition of my socks, I throw them against the bulkhead and if they stick I change them. Works for knickers just as well.

As the sun is above/below/alongside/parallel to the yard arm it's time for my evening libation of a nice Black Bush, dressed with a cherry in it. All calls to the funnel suite will go unanswered, Squeek or Eric will wake ES to deal with any injuneering questions.

Oh yes a word of warning to you crew type persons, I shall be venting the exhaust gas boiler and the injun exhaust scrubbers through the A/C system at some time during the night so make sure your seat belts are fastened in your bunks as quite a puff of wind is anticipated through the accommodation.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 27th September 2021, 06:10

E. von Hoegh is asking questions that I haven't heard since I did Chiefs, Load Line indeed. He's looking for a cheap marine education and believe me it don't come cheaper than us. If he asks anything about the Transverse Metacentre or Cross Curves I'll set Tmax on him and he will bore him to death with a slide rule and graph paper and "Five Eighths" rivets. Larn'in, you canna beet it.
Old 27th September 2021, 11:45

I don't know. You seem to have done for it pretty well.
Old 27th September 2021, 14:44

It's hard to keep a good man down.

BTW how are things on your Sceptred Islet? Keeping the beast at bay? On 01 October we are being offered a booster jag and I'll be first in line.
Old 28th September 2021, 01:03

Thank you for asking. No sign of boosters yet nor of flu jab (or of check on pulses, some new fad recommended. A check on my intake of peas and beans I assume). Lurgi experiencing granny killers back to school rise and tenant brought a dose back from holiday (double jabbed but took it like a man - as in very manflu - fortunately now 'better').

Visit from Denholm Shipmate last week, much merriment and lamp swinging. Croquet and chess presently in abeyance due broken leg of key player of one and the other on the razzle in your neck of Hibernia.

Until then I remain fit for duty so don't you dare dock any of the hard earned. Every motor has had its monthly megger check and I don't 'do' lamping.

Trust things are OK to the adjacent Island to our West, All of it. And that that continues.