Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Radio Room

Kays Catalogues

Old 29th April 2017, 17:09

Kays Catalogues

Anyone remember the Kays Catalogue that used to be carried on board? Held by the R/O if I recall correctly. It could be used to order pressies or whatever to be sent home. Some very pretty ladies on display if I recall. Did all ships carry one?
Old 30th April 2017, 09:51

Certainly Marconi ship's in my time with them did. I won't say we pushed them but any private message (which use of Kay's required) augmented Marconi's fee (assuming they were also the accounting authority. Private traffic had an extra "tax". Half returned to owner and half to Marconi. Earliest part of my time there was also "Ship Tax" due on incoming messages. I can't remember how we accounted for this. I assume it must have been due on all messages as it would have been too confusing for the landline telegraph offices to differentiate. There are experts here who liked doing that sort of thing and will explain further, better, properly?)
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Last edited by Varley; 3rd May 2017 at 16:30.
Old 1st May 2017, 00:10

Yes the Kay's Catalogue was held in the Radio Room and often borrowed by 'potential customers' who never materialised an order. (But the simple check to their motives was just to drop the catalogue on the bench by its spine and see how it flopped open. (That's Cheltenham training for you .... ))

The worst part of the whole effing business was explaining to the crew that the Sparky DID NOT get a commission from Kay's Orders. Although I think you got a book voucher or some such thing if you sold the entire contents of the Kay's Catalogue within a week of joining the ship. About as likely as being hit on the head by a previously unnoticed incoming galactic cluster, or meeting a particularly nasty Tyrannosaurus Rex on your way home from the pub at night. (Although I can't deny the latter has happened to me, sometimes three times on the same night )
Old 1st May 2017, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Certainly Marconi ship's in my time with them did. I won't say we pushed them but any private message (which use of Kay's required) augmented to Marconi's fee (assuming they were also the accounting authority. Private traffic had an extra "tax". Half returned to owner and half to Marconi. Earliest part of my time there was also "Ship Tax" due on incoming messages. I can't remember how we accounted for this. I assume it must have been due on all messages as it would have been too confusing for the landline telegraph offices to differentiate. There are experts here who liked doing that sort of thing and will explain further, better, properly?)

I was wih Marconi from 1962 to 1974 and there was never an incoming "Ship Tax". What would have happened if the recipient refused to pay?
Old 1st May 2017, 23:38

Ship tax for incoming traffic was paid at the sending end and the only R/O requirement was to figure the amount and enter it in the appropriate column in the received abstract. Ship tax on to-ship traffic was certainly due by ITU in your time (by your profile). How many letters did you get from R.O Dennis complaining of your accounting competence?
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:03

Varley, I got the wrong end of stick, thought you meant the recipient had to pay. Also cannot rembember accounting for received tfc as memory fading! Never heard of R.O Dennis and never had any letters from him or anyone else complaining about accounting competence, so must have done it correctly . The only letter of complaint I had was about a silence period violation, reported by a Canadian monitoring station whilst I was working a USCG station.
Cheers, Jim
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:53

I'm quite surprised that this thread has been transferred to a trade specific forum. I feel that it might be missed by many on here. My intention was to let everyone see it on a general forum and used the facility. R/Os might have kept the catalogues, but they were available to everyone. The opposite to what's happened to this thread.
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Ship tax for incoming traffic was paid at the sending end and the only R/O requirement was to figure the amount and enter it in the appropriate column in the received abstract. Ship tax on to-ship traffic was certainly due by ITU in your time (by your profile). How many letters did you get from R.O Dennis complaining of your accounting competence?
Renewing my ticket in 1979 one of the 'lecturers' notified class that 'ship charge' on received messages was collected form the recipient, adding that it was a chore chasing crew. I suggested he had escaped prosecution for fraud.
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I'm quite surprised that this thread has been transferred to a trade specific forum. I feel that it might be missed by many on here. My intention was to let everyone see it on a general forum and used the facility. R/Os might have kept the catalogues, but they were available to everyone. The opposite to what's happened to this thread.
Well whatever happens Richard, don't mention the dreaded word 'Vernons.' That'll truly get us foaming at the mouth ...
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Well whatever happens Richard, don't mention the dreaded word 'Vernons.' That'll truly get us foaming at the mouth ...
Yeah! And don't put "R/O" In any post, anywhere, or it's likely to end up here in the "Radio Room"
Old 4th May 2017, 17:15
Super Moderator

Richard,

That is not the case. I moved it as it was relevant to the Radio Room and we need posts everywhere
to get members interest. No slight was intend to anyone but Kays was in the Radio Room.

Neville. Hawkey01
Old 4th May 2017, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey01 View Post
Richard,

That is not the case. I moved it as it was relevant to the Radio Room and we need posts everywhere
to get members interest. No slight was intend to anyone but Kays was in the Radio Room.

Neville. Hawkey01
Hi Hawkeye. Although all user specific threads are open to all of course, I suspect that many may just stick to general forums, and not bother to look at threads/forums that don't apply to them or their department.
I worked on deck, in the engine room, and on the bridge, and I suspect that many (Like me) did the same, and again like me, might have little interest in the Radio Room and might pass over that, or any other thread that they have no direct work connection with.
Besides, the Radio Room seems to be doing quite well for threads, compared with some other Departments.
Old 11th October 2017, 19:15

There must have been some sort of agreement between the accounting companies and Kays to distribute the catalogues. As far as I remember I would get them from MIMCo and IMRC, both UK-based QRCs but not from SAIT who were in Brussels (or Bruxelles).

That which should not be mentioned, per BobClay's post 9, I never encountered, but the Greeks had something called ΠΡΟΠΩ (PROPO) which was their football results and woe betide if you didn't copy that on a Sunday; there was no system to gamble on it though so no outgoing QTCs were involved.

Now we get to Interflora............
Old 12th October 2017, 11:09
Super Moderator

Oh yes!most important on a Greek crewed ship. I used to type them out and post on the notice board and the press. Made me a very popular fellow.

Neville
Old 13th October 2017, 16:39

After a while I was able to write out the Greek press in cyrillic characters - Capital letters only.
Old 15th October 2017, 05:49

My 'party trick' was to listen to ball-by-ball on the BBC whilst simultaneously copying the Greek press on a Greek typewriter. The noise was sufficient to keep on-lookers away as I did it all on loudspeakers.