Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Health Issues

Flu jabs UK

Old 11th January 2018, 00:01

It is a difficult question, the flu jab given to such as myself is a totally inactive serum so it should have no effect itself. The jab given to little kids is a partially inactivated vaccine to provoke a stronger reaction in an immune system that has perhaps never been challenged before. I think that a level of immunity to some strains must help the whole population, low levels of protection can allow the disease to spread across the population more easily.
Old 11th January 2018, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
It is a difficult question, the flu jab given to such as myself is a totally inactive serum so it should have no effect itself. The jab given to little kids is a partially inactivated vaccine to provoke a stronger reaction in an immune system that has perhaps never been challenged before. I think that a level of immunity to some strains must help the whole population, low levels of protection can allow the disease to spread across the population more easily.
Well put Farmer John. I do believe that some of the population have stronger immune systems and are well able to withstand certain types of communicable illnesses that do spring up in communities from time to time. Children have not had a chance for their own immune systems to be strengthened and they, like some of the elderly, are not physically equipped to withstand a bad cases of the 'Flu.

Vicki D
Old 11th January 2018, 15:40

As I was with the Nurse Practitioner yesterday,having my 6 monthly Diabetes assessment, I asked about reactions this year....the one that my wife had,which resulted in her having an ECG, is not that uncommon,even for an inert vaccine...we each are a separate chemical factory and reactions vary a lot....her observation was that probably 10% of their patients (and staff) have some form of reaction.

geoff
Old 9th September 2018, 16:25

I read in the media the NHS free 2028/19 flu vaccinations are of 2 types this winter. A four strain one for the (young) under 65s group. Over 65 years are treated differently with one called Fluad which is a 3 strain vaccine with an added adjuvant (which triggers a better immune reaction in the so called elderly). The adjuvant contains Squaline. Fluad has been used in USA since 2016.

There seems to be some controversy about adjuvants added to vaccinations on the internet.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject area?

Another article a couple of days ago is below.

All NHS staff have been told to get the flu vaccine or risk being banned from treating vulnerable patients this winter

NHS trusts across the country have been asked to achieve a 'near universal' uptake of the jab among their front-line staff. Staff who refuse will be asked to justify their reasoning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ticle-masthead
Old 11th September 2018, 02:37

Hi Lucy
I know that most people who were jabbed by Joe Louis suffered badly. But here in Aus the flue jabs are free for pensioners, my wife and i in our 80s have never had one; but all the people we know who have; have all suffered with the flue, we tend to stay clear of anyone having had the jab as we consider them carriers. My Dr gets a little irate when I tell him it spreads the germs around; but then he was sneezing a lot .
Tugger
Old 11th September 2018, 08:08
Super Moderator

People who have had the flu jab either caught it before they had the jab, or is not the flu at all, but a heavy cold. A lot of people mistake a heavy cold for the flu. Also of course not all strains are covered by the vaccine, which is made in March of every year in the Northern Hemisphere the strains decided by WHO in February meaning later strains will not be covered.

It is also not possible to be a carrier if having the flu jab. The vaccine is not live, so you cannot catch the flu from the vaccine or those that have had it. You are far more likely to catch flu from others who have not had the jab rather than those who have.

Before I retired, I saw hundreds of people die of the flu related illness in my department alone. Therefore, I would recommend everybody to have the jab or at least speak to your doctor. The problem is that the person did not die of the flu itself, but a condition caused by it meaning we would write something like Bronchopneumonia due to Influenza. The flu attacks the immune system, which is why it is so dangerous.
Old 11th September 2018, 22:56

Good info David. A lot of old wives tales about getting the Flu from jabs.
Old 17th September 2018, 11:48

janmike My wife and I have had the flu jab since it was available. Those that had the injection and had a bout of flu would they be alive if they had NOT had the injection.
I am lucky in that injection time is the only time I visit the surgery. Apart of course of mechanical failure.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:35

Been in surgery today and they agree after last year's problems we shouldn't repeat this year.

Geoff
Old 17th September 2018, 20:39

I got mine today, and the nurse explained that this year's vaccine had been enhanced in order to take care of a new strain of influenza.
For the first time in 11 years of flue jabs, I felt pretty rotten for an hour or so afterwards, so I guess this was an effect of the enhancement.
Old 17th September 2018, 22:38

I had the flu when I was a kid. I was off school for a month, my Old Dear thought I was a gonner. It's definitely a bit more than a 'bad cold.'

I had it again when I was at college in Leith doing a sparky's ticket. Put me down for a week, what was strange about that was how quickly it came on. I went down like a sack of spuds off the back of a lorry.

Have to admit I've steered clear of flu jabs because all those in my local who had one over the years were downed for a day or two, and I thought, f*** that, if I get it again, I get it, I'll ride it out.

But, times change, maybe I'll get one this year … but if it kills me … I'LL BE BACK FOR YOU LOT.
Old 18th September 2018, 12:21

Thumbs up Influenza jab

I have been getting the jab for about 7/8 years, initially I was not impressed, but I have noticed over the last couple of years that I do not even get a cold. I have an asthma problem and in the past catching a cold would automatically mean that it would turn into asthmatic bronchitis. So with the improvement of the serum used over the years I find it essential.
Old 19th September 2018, 07:27

Every year, no problem, no flu. Will be getting this year's in the next little while.
Old 8th October 2018, 21:32

This is what a serious bout of flu did to John McCririck and left him unable to speak for three months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (126.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 8th October 2018, 22:14

Damn, if nothing else persuades you, surely that will.
Old 9th October 2018, 00:10

You don't have to convince me. Something ghastly struck at New Year (having threatened to be a cold on the 30th). I was over it in a week. My un-vaccinated friends were hors de combat, some bed bound for some of the time, for twice that and more.

Went to Boots on Friday (earliest for oldies' potion on the Monday) jabbed out. Fortunately another more community pharmacist up the hill had the stuff 'in'. In a week I will not be so concerned about dripping childs and their sniffing, indulgent, assassin parents.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan