Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Nostalgia - Days Gone Bye

Not a hard hat in sight.

Old 12th August 2018, 14:25

Not a hard hat in sight.

The design, building, launch, engine construction, fitting out and trials of a ship for the Swiss MN. 1947/8. Hartlepool. Yorkshire film archive:http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/...av-maritime-sa

Not a hard hat in sight. I'm in awe at the vast amount of skills required to build a ship.
Old 12th August 2018, 14:56

Thank you for the Yorkshire film archive link Harry, those were the days! Most enjoyable.
Old 18th August 2018, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
The design, building, launch, engine construction, fitting out and trials of a ship for the Swiss MN. 1947/8. Hartlepool. Yorkshire film archive:http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/...av-maritime-sa

Not a hard hat in sight. I'm in awe at the vast amount of skills required to build a ship.
Yeah,I worked in Cammell Lairds during the 1960/70s where the only hard hats were worn by foremen, and health and safety was not a consideration. One of the busiest departments was the first aid room.
Old 18th August 2018, 21:22

My old man worked in Swan Hunters from being an apprentice Fitter then Engineer, from 1936 right up to 1986 and his headgear of choice depended on his position......flat cap as an apprentice and a fitter, trilby as a foreman then manager.
He was always being complained at towards the end of his career for refusing to wear a white managers hard hat, he had always worn his trilby and boiler suit - why bloody change now! He was renowned in the Low Walker yard for it.
He was quite happy with some of the immediate benefits of H & S, such as the reduced accident rates - but was not a fan of being told what he could and couldn't wear!

Nicholas Monsarrat