Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 7th June 2018, 22:03

Been ashore on secret business lately, so missed out on all the great celebrations.

So here's cheers mi dears to both the Admiral and the Cap'n for passing two important landmarks in their lives.

Drink up, there's plenty more...hic....
Old 7th June 2018, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
Not even super turbo powered Preparation H can help atomic piles.
Old 8th June 2018, 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
:Not even super turbo powered Preparation H can help atomic piles.

"An' now, Ladies & Gentlemen, we come to the botanical gardens. 'ere we 'ave a wonderful specimen of the tea tree. Now the tea tree is used for piles for piers, an' when I say piles for piers, I mean supports for jetties, an' not those 'orrible 'emorrhoids protruding from the 'airy 'rsoles of the aristocracy!"

Last edited by Tom Alexander; 8th June 2018 at 07:01.
Old 8th June 2018, 07:43

Couple of angry mothers prowling around on the quay to night. Looking for someone named Jack Sparrow -- they tracked him to the GD. Wonder who on earth can that be??

Suggest we pack up here tomorrow morning and head for St. Pete's in Tampa Bay. Looks like they've got more bars and clubs there that Carter's got little liver pills.

Old 8th June 2018, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
"An' now, Ladies & Gentlemen, we come to the botanical gardens. 'ere we 'ave a wonderful specimen of the tea tree. Now the tea tree is used for piles for piers, an' when I say piles for piers, I mean supports for jetties, an' not those 'orrible 'emorrhoids protruding from the 'airy 'rsoles of the aristocracy!"
Ah I see you have met "them" then Tom
Old 8th June 2018, 07:56

following on from the "Roids". I nicked a bunch of grapes from the galley.....think i will put them back now...LOL
Old 8th June 2018, 09:24

Just keep an eye open for mushroom clouds.
Old 8th June 2018, 17:23

Quote:
An old one, but never so poetically described in my experience. Brings tears to my eyes.
Old 8th June 2018, 23:26

Quote:
Couple of angry mothers prowling around on the quay to night. Looking for someone named Jack Sparrow -- they tracked him to the GD. Wonder who on earth can that be??

Suggest we pack up here tomorrow morning and head for St. Pete's in Tampa Bay. Looks like they've got more bars and clubs there that Carter's got little liver pills.

Didn't know that you could still buy them, or do you have a hoard stashed away Tom? Just in case you need them Eh?

Vicki D
Old 9th June 2018, 02:33

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Be warned!
Grandma used to take some liver pills/stuff, in hot water I think.
Don't know what it was called but it killed her in the end. She was only 88.
Perhaps it was the hot water.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 9th June 2018 at 02:36.
Old 9th June 2018, 06:04

remember the Beechams pills sold n little paper twists? Used to buy like that in Dieppe, only they were not .Beechams pills but little explosives. so with a few of them and a rubber band to launch them we could, under the cover of darkness keep the night watchman on the next ship on his toes. Just dropping one on the deck would result in a bang heh heh heh
Old 9th June 2018, 08:17

Quote:
remember the Beechams pills sold n little paper twists? Used to buy like that in Dieppe, only they were not .Beechams pills but little explosives. so with a few of them and a rubber band to launch them we could, under the cover of darkness keep the night watchman on the next ship on his toes. Just dropping one on the deck would result in a bang heh heh heh
Not familiar with them, but in a former life, when at the church youth club dances, after they'd turned the lights down a bit, one of our number had a mixture wrapped up in paper which he would distribute around the dance floor. Expecially during a quick step, or a foxtrot, the shoes scraping over this unstable mixture would produce a stream of sparks and a crackling sound. I think it was a mixture of iodine and perhaps sodium sulphate. Could always catch the culprit by the iodine stains on the hands.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
Didn't know that you could still buy them, or do you have a hoard stashed away Tom? Just in case you need them Eh?
I don't know whether you can still buy them either -- just remember the saying. If any body has them it will be Sir William. He has a supply of little blue pills, so he may have some of the Carter variety as well.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Be warned!
Grandma used to take some liver pills/stuff, in hot water I think.
Don't know what it was called but it killed her in the end. She was only 88.
Perhaps it was the hot water.
Water, hot, or cold is lethal as per the following MSDS sheet:

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!
The Invisible Killer
Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:
• is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
• contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
• may cause severe burns.
• contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
• accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
• may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
• has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!
Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
• as an industrial solvent and coolant.
• in nuclear power plants.
• in the production of styrofoam.
• as a fire retardant.
• in many forms of cruel animal research.
• in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
• as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!
The Horror Must Be Stopped!
The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

I had a pharmacist get really ticked off at me once when I asked him for some and after looking at the sheet he hadn't caught on what it really was -- then I told him.

Last edited by Tom Alexander; 9th June 2018 at 08:26.
Old 9th June 2018, 09:35

The iodine stuff is stupidly easy to make though I won't reveal how. My mate at school blew his thumb off and a fair part of his right hand. I imagine the chemicals used are now not so easily available.
Old 9th June 2018, 12:17

I think 80/80 ammonia came into the equation somewhere. Ammonium tri-iodide?

I would think the ammonia of that strength would be hard to come by but I did think iodine crystals might have disappeared due to the micks propensity for making things that go bang from anything handy. One could buy such things from the chemists when I was boy (and did, Bowman's being my supplier as Pa could park outside and wave to the dispenser that I was a safe pair of hands). I remember from home and school) that just taking the stopper out of the ammonia and conc. HCl produced a white smoke of ammonium chloride.

The coincidence today is that I gave away the lot to the youngish son of a friend of ours. He is now a successful manager in a large financial institution and he introduced himself to me last night at a post TT fireworks booze up. The first time we have met since then, some 40 odd years ago.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Last edited by Varley; 11th June 2018 at 00:24.
Old 9th June 2018, 15:00

Ref post 3089.

Without any of that lethal Dihydrogen Monoxide stuff, we wouldn't need any ships. Imagine having to drive the GDII everywhere. There would almost certainly be a parking warden official somewhere who would say,

"Yew carn't park that thing 'ere, I don't care what yer name is."
Old 9th June 2018, 15:46

It's Nitrogen Triiodide, it will just go bang when it dries out. The lack of any level of stability is amazing. Ask my mate.

The Golden Dreamer would float on anything, even our dreams. Parking attendants would be so bemused by the splendour of the vessel they would avert their eyes and fall to their knees in obeisance. We would be paid a premium for attracting trade to a town.

Except when we didn't want to, when we wouldn't.
Old 10th June 2018, 06:26

lot of talk about things that go bang ... spare a thought for our Chief Injunier....His Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow machines down below are banging away as we speak. (or are we parked somewhere?)
Old 10th June 2018, 07:07

Quote:
lot of talk about things that go bang ... spare a thought for our Chief Injunier....His Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow machines down below are banging away as we speak. (or are we parked somewhere?)
I'm not an injkuneer, but, Sir William, surely we don't have gasoline powered engines down below, other than for your turbo charged launch on the marina deck.

I always thought diesels were Suck, Squeeze, (Squirt),Bang, Blow ??

Although, due to the quiet smoothness of Tmacs injuns, I suspect they are steam turbines with super-heated steam provided by a nuclear reactor.
Old 10th June 2018, 07:08

Mr. McCloggie and Dartskipper -- please liase for our normal silent departure from New Orleans and lay a course for Tampa Bay.
Old 10th June 2018, 09:23

O do in fact know (as an Honorary ember of ther golden spanner institute) exactly how it all works down there. But, I am sworn to secrecy. Suffice it to say its all very technical stuff.
Best we not mention it but keep the black bush flowing.
Old 10th June 2018, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I think 80/80 ammonia came into the equation somewhere. Ammonium tri-iodide?

I did think iodine crystals might have disappeared due ton the micks propensity for making things that go bang from anything handy. .

Speaking as a "Mick, as you so delicately put it, (with all the diplomacy Mr Trump lacks) , I am quite unaware of the need for iodine in an IED.
Mr V please educate us.
Old 10th June 2018, 13:01

DS - can we meet in the bar please and discuss our silent departure?

I can ensure that the cut-outs remain quiet but we need to organise and understand signals for them. Flares, roman candles and general shouting of orders are presumably not appropriate!

I would suggest we utilise one or two cut-outs on the dockside to slip us and then the use of cranes and personnel basket to pick them up.

I they are not too afraid we should be able to perform the "slipex" in silence>

McC
Old 10th June 2018, 21:46

The injuns on the GD are a closely guarded secret which is why the injun room is off limits to anyone other than those initiated into the brotherhood of the spanner or any nubile ladies young or slightly shop soiled ones (at my age and time of life I cannot afford to be choosy )

ES ignore David and his derogatory reference to "micks".... yes I know it is a hurtful and unwarranted slur ill deserved of a noble people but a few idiots did cause our nation much shame and embarrassment.

On a medical note my sainted Mother swore by Mrs Cullen's Powders, as in "these feckin things don't feckin work"

'night all, Squeek and I shall ensure you have a restful and fully air conditioned sleep in your quarters no matter what nefarious activity you get up to

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots