Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

Is the RFAs new FSS build going overseas?

Old 29th July 2018, 01:58

Is the RFAs new FSS build going overseas?

Spotted this article in the Guardian, hardly the most reliable or accurate newspaper, nevertheless....no smoke without fire!

I don't think the Guardian hacks fully understand that RFAs are not warships though!

Anyway - If this is true, I don't think any UK yard could currently compete against either Japanese or Korean yards, if they were competing on just cost alone - which I guess would be the case?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-built-abroad

Nicholas Monsarrat
Old 29th July 2018, 08:42

I take it that the Guardian missed the building of the four new Tide class fleet tankers by Daewoo in Korea.
Old 29th July 2018, 22:50

it would be a brave government that gives the order to an overseas company, especially as there are at least two UK yards that can build them. Interestingly the Scottish unions are saying that their yards are full to capacity therefore Scotland cannot bid, yet the Scottish First Minister is stirring it up by demanding they are built on the Clyde.
Old 29th July 2018, 23:28

I really wish she had of stuck to comedy instead of getting into politics, she was so much more convincing as a Krankie.
Why on gods own earth are we in a situation that our only warship building yard is a single slip facility in a nation that wants independence?

Nicholas Monsarrat
Old 30th July 2018, 00:26

#4, Moot point to some perhaps Tom but thankfully 55.30% of the Scottish nation voted to remain in the United Kingdom in 2014. Odds are Ms Sturgeon will have neverendum daubed on her headstone
Old 30th July 2018, 00:42

Sorry Marian...I should have said "in a nation whose leader wants independence from the UK at any cost"
I for one would mourn any split in the union - I think it would be a dreadful thing for both countries, I just do not like her agenda....I do have a few things I would like to see daubed on her headstone - cant imagine any of them would be printable though!

Nicholas Monsarrat