Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 17th November 2021, 08:21

Apathy BB, Apathy reigns. Falmouth will turn apathy into mutiny. Falmouth because you have a fancy woman, a bit on the side, a scarlet lady. Bollix, we want to drydock in Harland & Fox. If you and the Managers insist on Falmouth all the lads will head for Belfast anyway and will sing down the phone to you;;;

Oh Billy dear
we're over here
And we're never coming back,
What keeps us here
is the great black beer,
the Ladies and the crack.

Varley, as is his pattern, will Yule in IOM and Lang Sang with the Lads in Belfast. Not exactly a man of mystery but a solid citizen.
Billy the balls in your court. Oh the loneliness of Command.

Last edited by Engine Serang; 17th November 2021 at 08:22. Reason: Speling and gramer.
Old 17th November 2021, 11:42

We had the choice of the glutton's car park or an outing or two to l'entrecote and the old man chooses fish and chips. How will the bread sauce and stuffing go with that I ask myself.

Dined with a now positive covider on Sunday (and with some of the same crowd last night) with all these positives about are a comensurate numbers of negatives required before covid actually covids? The ghoulish reply would be 'no, only a good earth').

(if I ask myself should I use a question mark or is a spanner blow more appropriate?)
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 17th November 2021, 21:54

Hey dont mock me..I am only the owner. you all had a chance to seek out a suitable dry dock port and nobody spoke up, after a week. Falmouth it is then. Belfast is a no go due to the fact Paddys wont work over Christmas week Even though offered great sums of punts. No dock available in IOM. Only one I could find was in Falmouth.
Christmas leave will be granted to all, Transport home will be provided as usual. anyone wishing to pay off may do so.
I will be advertising for crew as from January 2nd. Hope to get deck officers this time around.
Old 17th November 2021, 22:01

Let go the slipper! ... thrusters hard a port!... stop thrusters! slow ahead both!, Keep her in the middle helmsman.
Ring down full away, revs for 20 knots.
both radars and alarms are set, Ecdis dialled in, I am off for supper...
Old 25th November 2021, 05:16

Philadelphia for bunkers and stores the shoot across the pond for Falmouth.
we are 2 days out of Filly so should work out fine.
Old 25th November 2021, 08:51

Two days out of a filly, good man. I hope you cleansed your old man with one of the wonderful BOT VD Kits.
How in the name of all that's holy are you going to land her in Camden and the place on HI DOE for goddammed communists.

In #7453 you bluntly, and foolishly, stated; "Belfast is a no go due to the fact Paddys wont work", T-Tommy is fit to be tied and is incandessent (spell check Mr V, please) with rage. Expect laxative chocolate in the plum duff over Yuletide.
Old 25th November 2021, 14:33

I'll have to check myself, we're all LED now (except my kitchen in which the last fitted light is now unuseable. Can one still get gas mantles?).

Anyway. Poor old Paddy, perhaps his will start working again when he's opened that package from Numan.

Last edited by Varley; 25th November 2021 at 17:18.
Old 25th November 2021, 15:22

Yes of course you can purchase gas mantles - The shed dragging brigade still use them apparently. It seems that while they can carry bottled gas, shore power in the middle of a field is hard to come by.

Trivia; The gas mantle was invented after the incandescent electric lamp in response to the new upstart completion.
Old 25th November 2021, 16:32

Being a baby-boomer I was reared with mains electricity coming in on a wire and mains sewerage going out in a pipe so gas mantles are not in my vocabulary. Are they by any chance related to the mantlepiece?
I have heard mention of a Tilly Lamp and a Hurricane Lamp and wonder if the Academic Mr V could put all these gizmos on a time line, unless he's playing darts in the Old Market tonight.
Old 25th November 2021, 17:17

Not sure about predating the electric luminaire (of whatever pattern - wiki says they were at the Great Exhibition).

(The Market tomorrow after luncheon, perhaps, but not for 'arrers').

The Tilly lamp probably did have a mantle I can't remember that detail but do the light from them well enough. In boyhood in Seaford power cuts were not infrequent and the atop the lockers in St.Wilfrid's School staff common-room there were a slack handful of them which were lit when the lights went out. Much like the primus and blow lamp the pressurised paraffin was heated on its way to the burner so that it was effectively gas when allowed to escape, burning to heat mantle and vapourisation tube/vessel/whatever at the same time.

Turning electricity directly into sewage is a phenomenon I have never seen and whilst it would be fascinating to hear how this is achieved I fear it would irritate those of a Doom-Goblinesque following. Did it injure many sewerage workers?

Last edited by Varley; 25th November 2021 at 17:20.
Old 25th November 2021, 19:22

2 days out of Filey, you say ???
Play your cards right and you could see who put the Great in Yarmouth.
Old 25th November 2021, 19:26

The 1883 Crystal Palace Gas and Electrical Exhibition is the one where both Mr Swan's electric light and Monsieur Clamond's gas mantle were shown.
Mr Swan having his patent in 1880 and M Clamond in 1881.
But, Herr Carl Auer von Welsbach's mantle, which used Thorium Nitrate came in 1884 and was the model of those still used to this day.
Old 26th November 2021, 01:41

Ah yes the Mantle. great invention in their time and no need for a Faraday cage.
I was sent to the shop to buy one once. Got curious as a young child as to what was in the that pretty cardboard box and ended up putting my finger through it. seem to remember my aft being sore for quite some time.
Old 26th November 2021, 07:26

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Being a baby-boomer I was reared with mains electricity coming in on a wire and mains sewerage going out in a pipe so gas mantles are not in my vocabulary. Are they by any chance related to the mantlepiece?
I have heard mention of a Tilly Lamp and a Hurricane Lamp and wonder if the Academic Mr V could put all these gizmos on a time line, unless he's playing darts in the Old Market tonight.
Still have a hurricane lamp somewhere but not used in donkey's years.
Also have kerosene blow lamp which I do use from time to time. It scares hell out of the YMs and the (adult) kids as they wait for it to explode and take me with it ..........
The thing that does scare me is gas. Invisible and lethal.

Nearly burnt the Commissioner's Special Carriage to the rails in the outback on the way to Alice Springs back in the 70s. Timber and varnish burn well! Coldest overnight in Central Australia on record (-7C IIRC).

Gas space heater in the dining saloon:
  • Turn on gas at tank
  • Turn on gas at heater
  • Light match near heater
  • Nothing, bugger!
  • Little blue flames over about a square metre surrounding the heater.
  • Turn off gas tank and flames die.
  • Rat crew cabin for extra blankets
  • Booked fault on arrival in Alice Springs -oh yes we knew about it split hose but hadn't got round to fixing it!!!!
If the Commissioner had been travelling I bet it would have been fixed beforehand.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 26th November 2021 at 07:43.
Old 26th November 2021, 12:37

Hi YM, have your Jolly Swagmen stopped digging coal out of the ground and selling it to the enemy? Will the submarines you are buying to put manners on John Chinaman have coal fired auxiliaries?
Old 26th November 2021, 13:35

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Yes we are still digging both iron ore and coal which we will sell to anyone, even a potential enemy - like the scrap steel sold to Japan in the 1930s.

We (our politicians that is) are totally unprincipled and completely at the behest of anyone with money. We have even sold the Port of Darwin to the Chinese!

Yes, the new K class will be coal fired everything - even the galley.

All is not lost, however, there are savings! The turbines have been replaced with steam reciprocating saving on the capital cost.

Unfortunately, coal firing and the steam reciprocating will preclude submerged operation but this is not seen in Canberra as a problem as the water at their RNSW Navy wharf in Sydney Harbour is not deep enough to allow submerging anyway.
Old 26th November 2021, 15:55

So a few extra Admirals in the offing. Submersing is an added extra and if the truth be known a bit of a faf. Beloved only by our American allies who are unable to control anything on the surface.
Old 30th November 2021, 13:52

stand by for docking lads. ropes and fenders port side.
stop engines...let her drift in a bit...slow astern Starboard!...stop engine.....make fast. Once we are bunkered we will move ship across to the other side and moor up for the night.
Old 1st December 2021, 01:52

You rotter. The bond's sealed and I've only a gallon of Rochas to last until breakfast.
Old 1st December 2021, 07:01

Would that be Eau Rochas Homme, Rochas Madame or Rochas Mademoiselle?? One hopes it is the Homme but we live in testing times.

Well November has gone so we all can get back to drinking and posting and BB can review his berthing manoeuvring rituals "stand (sic) by for docking lads. ropes and fenders port side.
stop engines...let her drift in a bit...slow astern Starboard!...stop engine.....make fast".
The Bridge Resource Manual takes a dim view of such carry on. PSC will pick it up.
Old 1st December 2021, 12:17

PSC can PSC off.
Right ho lads 2 and one each end. we can get a run ashore here then skip across the pond for dry dock. after that who knows! we may well go into permanent lay up. Cant get reliable deck officers these days for love or money.
shame as it was a good thread once upon a time.
Vacancies for commodore, Captain, 1st,2nd and third mates, bosun and chippie. urgently required. I cant continue without staff. too old for that nowadays. I am just along for the ride.
Old 1st December 2021, 13:40

I've got a Royal yachting "Day Skipper" certificate and am more than willing to stand watch on the Bridge.
Some say it was a good thread once upon a time and I agree. If you do not have any joining criteria then folks like me join and spoil it all.
Old 1st December 2021, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
PSC can PSC off.
Right ho lads 2 and one each end. we can get a run ashore here then skip across the pond for dry dock. after that who knows! we may well go into permanent lay up. Cant get reliable deck officers these days for love or money.
shame as it was a good thread once upon a time.
Vacancies for commodore, Captain, 1st,2nd and third mates, bosun and chippie. urgently required. I cant continue without staff. too old for that nowadays. I am just along for the ride.
Well at least you still have a Chief Injuneer, a great second and a somewhat erudite sparky type person so all is not lost.

Maybe Santa will be good to you this year, I've long given up on the old barsteward, last year he left a pile of sh1t on my hearth and despite digging through it with my bare hands I couldn't find the horse If he drops down the funnel this year he is in for a hell of a surprise

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 1st December 2021, 18:47

Eu de Rochas Tawny. A dab behind each ear to attract itinerant deck staff and for to soak any new subligacula to avoid tinea cruris (there's erudite boyos, for skiddies and crutch rot, respectively).

Also efficacious when taken internally especially against split in choirboys.
Old 1st December 2021, 23:15

Yes it was a lot of fun at one time ES. Had some great crew who have since crossed the bar. The likes of John Briggs, Dom and Jim Barnes for instance were some really great characters and played their parts really well.
I guess we will have to wait and see if any volunteer crew come forward.

we are all amateurs aboard here with the exception of my Engineers and electrical officer. No previous experience requires as training will be given. So, Step up readers and fill the empty spaces on our crew list. Anyone fancy being our agent? could do with a few good jobs to boost our coffers.