Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Aviation

The Beaver, Otter and Caribou.

Old 16th January 2022, 17:21

The Beaver, Otter and Caribou.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3w_v0k57KhE
Old 16th January 2022, 21:45

The Fretless Bar Girls better start fretting because I went to school with Ian Millar and Maurice Crum and they will take a dim view of their music being bastardised. Caribou indeed.
Old 17th January 2022, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Thanks John, that brought back some memories of my months in Seattle in 1975. I was skipper of a yacht owned by a keen ocean racer who was a businessman in Seattle, and he owned a smaller 37ft yacht entered in that year's Swiftsure race. We towed the smaller vessel to Victoria BC, where I watched DHC Beavers running a shuttle service from the harbour to Vancouver. There was a very stiff breeze that Saturday, and it was strong enough for the Beavers to demonstrate their vertical take off capabilities. All they had to do was get into the fairway facing the harbour entrance and give it full throttle, and up they went, airborne before reaching the entrance!

The De Havilland airfield and factory in Hatfield, Herts. is now a large business park, with roads named after DH's more famous aircraft, such as Mosquito Way and Gipsy Moth Avenue.

Regards,

Roy.
Old 17th January 2022, 10:35

When I saw the title of the post thought it refered to 3 of the old Cast conbulkers !.
Old 17th January 2022, 16:16

Thanks for your input, Roy about the Beaver (L-20) yes it was a fine safe aircraft, just face the wind lower the flaps and it would take off. Not many people know the Beaver was used in the Vietnam conflict noy only as a cargo plane named ( LSAR) LOW SLOW AND RELIABLE. It first saw use in the early 1960s as an Army Security Aircraft used by the CIA and other Spooks, the plane was loaded with electronic gear and looked like a porcupine with all the radio mast sticking out of the body. Later replaced with OV1A,B.and C Mohawk surveillance aircraft.