Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 10th August 2020, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
.Cant remember anymore
Make it up BB, make it up.
Veracity is not a desirable quality in a GD2 Officer. Look at Mr. V, he would not be half as interesting and Tmax half as witty if their ditties were not littered with porkies.
Poor old YM is far too busy hosing down the billabong to stop it catching fire and burning down the diggerie-doo trees to put pen to paper.
Funny old world.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:59

The BHP guys doing Chief's at South Shield when I was there doing Amec retold the old tricks of McAndrew's Hymn being played out then still.

The game was to burn down the fire to get the most turns out of the engine on your watch leaving the one following to build the fire back up. I suppose I should add to my 'regret I sailed on them not' list a coal burner.

I cannot (I regret) show you a Stoking Indicator but here are bridge and engine room ends of RN Evershed and Vignoles telegraphs (working order, not the same ship).

Stokers under the command of Silicon sounds a bit 1984ish to me but it would give me something to play with as it would be too hot for Mrs V's delicate little boy to be shoveling (might be too hot for a PLC too - plenty problems burner management on ANT caused by electronics at egg cooking temperatures).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20200515_10_41_36_Pro.jpg (120.7 KB, 7 views)
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Last edited by Varley; 10th August 2020 at 11:01.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:59

Punched, bored, reamed, countersunk, jack hammered, cold pressed or back threaded. If you want to be screwed properly ask an injuneer

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots

Last edited by Tmac1720; 11th August 2020 at 11:31.
Old 10th August 2020, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post

I cannot (I regret) show you a Stoking Indicator but here are bridge and engine room ends of RN Evershed and Vignoles telegraphs (working order, not the same ship).

Stokers under the command of Silicon sounds a bit 1984ish to me but it would give me something to play with as it would be too hot for Mrs V's delicate little boy to be shoveling (might be too hot for a PLC too - plenty problems burner management on ANT caused by electronics at egg cooking temperatures).
The workshop looks like Michael Farradays.
You should have the Bridge Telegraph in your Drawing Room with the "Order" sectors reading Guinness; Ale; Pipe of Port; Navy Rum and Ploughmans Lunch. The "Receiver" end of the Telegraph would be in the Butlers Pantry which would greatly speed up service. I think it advisable to retain the FWE sector as the Butler occasionally needs a nights sleep.
Double ring "Full Ahead"
Old 10th August 2020, 17:29

I think that does Mr. Faraday a disservice. What you suggest is only partly possible although I have a length of multicore so I can display them. RN telegraphs have no DS or FWE. Slow is defined, Full is shit or bust, Half refers the engine room to some sort of different contraption for selecting speeds between Slow and SoB (I think a military gent posted that here some where).

What is stranger is that the RN ones when they appear are affordable yet there must be many fewer of them than merchant telegraphs which remain in the ridiculous bracket.

Correction info was by PM from SH's Tomvart, gratefully received (they do not have 'standby' either)

Last edited by Varley; 10th August 2020 at 17:54. Reason: Correction
Old 13th August 2020, 11:55

To Port I see no land....To Starboard I see no land ...No land ahead. Ah! Land astern I see. we must be leaving somewhere. But headed where?? Wish Tom was still aboard. Farmer John! where are we and where are we headed? getting very confused
Old 13th August 2020, 12:46

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
To Port I see no land....To Starboard I see no land ...No land ahead. Ah! Land astern I see. we must be leaving somewhere. But headed where?? Wish Tom was still aboard. Farmer John! where are we and where are we headed? getting very confused
So it's pointless asking 'are we there yet'? Therefore, I won't ask.
Old 14th August 2020, 00:07

I say chaps. Have we got enough in the bond for these boat people we have joining us. There's even a fellow with a favourite boiler. I suppose the plasticos will be safe enough but I don't know how E-S and Tmac will take it.
Old 16th August 2020, 06:18

YM is an old China and a sterling chap down below, Tmax wonders why he wanders about with a shovel but we all have little foibles. "All Aboard" Yankee Mike.
Old 16th August 2020, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
RN telegraphs have no DS or FWE.)
Is it safe to assume that Type 45 destroyers and the newly minted HMS Trent do not need Full Ahead on their telegraphs?
Old 16th August 2020, 12:03

my guess is they would be Bridge controlled so no need for telegraphs nowadays. think in the Andrew they use Revs for so many knots instead of slow, half and full.
Old 16th August 2020, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Is it safe to assume that Type 45 destroyers and the newly minted HMS Trent do not need Full Ahead on their telegraphs?
That I cannot say. The engine room end that I have is from (so the vendor vouchsafed) HMS Devonshire. The photographs of a type 45 bridge that are around show something that certainly looks like a conventional telegraph (even if it doubles to input he auto-control Setpoint).

"Full" could, however, still meet my description even if more one often the second option than the first. Anyway, most of 'our' ships are UMS and still have telegraphs - I can but think exchanging movement requests by polite note and runner might move an emergency onto the front newspaper page.
Old 16th August 2020, 18:00

Oh ye of little faith, our injun room or bridge doesn't need them telemagraph thingies, we operate on mind control. I don't mind so bridge commands don't matter. As David rightly observes we have a UMS, well what else would you class a rat and a squirrel in the injun room? As Chief Injuneer I make it a point of honour never to set foot in there, ES is more than capable of moving the wheelie thingamabobs and adjusting any wonky bits.

I keep YM on standby with his shovel to clean up all the crap the deckie type crowd leave behind.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 17th August 2020, 01:49

Thanks Tmac that is reassuring as I had heard rumours of ER redundancies/redeployment now that GD2 is carbon free clockwork powered.
I don't see myself qualified to work upstairs in the fresh air but will continue to polish all the odd brass thingies that abound down here in the gloom instead.
There are many commodities best handled on a shovel apart from coal and clinker but in my case the shovel is mainly to lean on.
Old 17th August 2020, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
There are many commodities best handled on a shovel apart from coal and clinker but in my case the shovel is mainly to lean on.
Leaning on a shovel proves you have Irish blood. You, Tmax and myself are known as the Dream Team and our combined IQ is the same as the height of Ben Nevis. The Var would like to join us but he is occasionally out of phase with Tmax and this leads to bouts of liverish bad humour. Should we put him on a probationary period and see if he can fit in. (???).
Old 17th August 2020, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Leaning on a shovel proves you have Irish blood. You, Tmax and myself are known as the Dream Team and our combined IQ is the same as the height of Ben Nevis. The Var would like to join us but he is occasionally out of phase with Tmax and this leads to bouts of liverish bad humour. Should we put him on a probationary period and see if he can fit in. (???).
Now that we are CFCP* propulsion I think that it might be a good idea albeit at some risk as I believe that he is into winding things up. We must keep up with technology. Isn't he a Leckie of some sort? If so, there are some slush lamps down here that could perhaps be replaced with electricity.

* Carbon free clockwork power! Those who know nothing often use acronyms to impress those who know even less.

Standing by leaning on my shovel waiting for the spring to break, run down, or a fuse to blow .... We might blow a tube but we never get out of phase.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 17th August 2020 at 11:03.
Old 17th August 2020, 11:26

But you will still need a means of conveying the wishes of the pilot, however loosely one intends to honour them. FWE - Finished With Escapement. STB - Spring Tight Below. Date drive geared to shaft. Big hand geared to shaft. Little hand geared to shaft. Teeny, weenie hand geared to shaft. Etc.

A whole new slang. "You've one more tick-tock left for the prop or a strike on the fog gong"!

I have no problem with tick-tockery. It is spring and weight driven tick-tockery that requires thumbs nimbler than mine (and fingers less thumblike). The principles of Dr. Hipp and Frank Hope-Jones can be applied to platform escapements and so bring the considerable engineering advantages of electricity to clockworkery (Many to be seen at Dr. Nye's fabulous 'Clockworks Gallery' * in West Norwood).

Var, however should not be used by any but the shamans of the 'J' notation. We do not like Vars because they are impossible to understand and difficult to accept and require us to use more copper than does same-sex electricity. Clockworkery would do away with them but that, too, is impractical as distribution of useful clockworkery would be hopelessly inefficient (although with the help of Mr. Hope-Jones can be done electrically or, as plumbers know it, "magically").

* - Wot can be googled.
Old 18th August 2020, 08:49

How does this clockwork thingy deal with 3rd and 5th harmonics?
Tmax should have control of the big key, he spends most of his working day winding me up.
Old 18th August 2020, 12:11

Typical plumbers. Worried about things in synchronism rather than out.

With weight driven, pendulumularly governed clockworkery there is a potential synchronistic problem, the 'Thursday syndrome' or 'Thursday kerfuffle'. It can be avoided by simply cutting Thursdays out of the calendar. It would not trouble a maritime ME (Motive Escapement) as Mr. Harrison eliminated both weights and pendulums from seagoing clockworkery (why they didn't follow this ashore and avoid buggering up the calendar I don't know).
Old 18th August 2020, 12:35

Its Pope Gregory's fault, he was a hoor for the pendolino.
Old 20th August 2020, 19:37

Right, you , moany lot. I am sorry I have been quiet and ineffective for so long, I have just got home after a fairly long session in hospital that happened very quickly. I will have to retire to a steamer chair on some sunny corner of the GD. I have just been diagnosed with bowel cancer, and we are still poking the thing with a stick to see what it really looks like. I can't make any major commitment to anything much right now, I do reserve the right to be rude to one and all and also to say that you all mean quite a bit to me.

As to current position, we were somewhere of the Caribbean.

Upwards and onwards!
Old 20th August 2020, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I do reserve the right to be rude to one and all.
No change there.
Old 20th August 2020, 22:08

welcome back aboard Farmer John. sorry to hear your diagnosis. I have the best steamer chair set up on the boat deck complete with a side table and a large G&&T with ice and a slice ready for you.
Old 21st August 2020, 02:24

Welcome back FJ. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Take care.
YM
Old 21st August 2020, 10:32

Nasty news. Seems to be a master Mariners complaint - perhaps using the connective fundament for talking it instead of passing it could be considered causative.

Now, I suppose, I have to spend every working afternoon on the telephone to distant navigating types on diverse topics. Especially those not concerned with ship management and favouring the smoking of tobacco (in Cuban or pipeborn formats) - other leaves also recommended (especially for the stricken in the vitals).