Go Back   Shipping History > Miscellaneous/Other forum Issues > Books, Magazines, TV, Video & Publications

"You'll See Wonders"

Old 14th September 2020, 21:21

"You'll See Wonders"

My latest book appeared on Amazon today. The title comes from advice given when I went to sea: brother-in-law, an engineer with Elder Dempster, cautioned me to never be cynical - 'You'll see wonders', he said. 'You'll See Wonders' is the sequel to my first memoir, 'The Best of Days'. It has been a pleasurable two years in the writing, and I've enjoyed trying to write with the spirit and atmosphere of the time. It is not autobiography, but memoir - which allows for scenes and character to be built where memory gives only snatches and fragments of conversation and visual recall. The ships concerned in this volume are Brocklebankers of 1957 - 1959. Malcolm Cranfield and Roger Bentley have been generous with images - my thanks to them.

Old 15th September 2020, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
My latest book appeared on Amazon today. The title comes from advice given when I went to sea: brother-in-law, an engineer with Elder Dempster, cautioned me to never be cynical - 'You'll see wonders', he said. 'You'll See Wonders' is the sequel to my first memoir, 'The Best of Days'. It has been a pleasurable two years in the writing, and I've enjoyed trying to write with the spirit and atmosphere of the time. It is not autobiography, but memoir - which allows for scenes and character to be built where memory gives only snatches and fragments of conversation and visual recall. The ships concerned in this volume are Brocklebankers of 1957 - 1959. Malcolm Cranfield and Roger Bentley have been generous with images - my thanks to them.

Three years ago, we took the ferry, on a Saturday night, from Naples to Palermo. I had (for economic reasons) booked us into the Pullman section.

Well, we couldn't really sleep. On one tour around deck, I showed my daughter the life rafts and lifeboats and explained about them. A little further ahead, hanging on the rail, we saw jelly fish "luminescing"! At about 21 knots, quite a sight to behold! My daughter always mentions this as it moved her!

I really like the title. What things, collectively, have we seen! What memories for all of us - Places, sights AND sites, smells, people, transports, "good times" - the list is endless! Let's revel in what we know and the landlubber will never understand - Starting with camaraderie!

Rgds.
Dave
Old 15th September 2020, 02:55

Two great post, and Dave how is daughter doing in Italy, is she still in lock-down.
Old 15th September 2020, 03:11

Uncle John,

Daughter doing well and, having passed first year, about to start degree year 2. She, however, refuses to find out how much/how long to learn to drive!

The lock down continues - Much to my liking! Masks and gloves in public, however more businesses open. People, in gneral, respecting the measures.

Keep safe!

Dave
Old 15th September 2020, 13:44

The lock down continues - Much to my liking! Masks and gloves in public, however more businesses open. People, in general, respecting the measures.

Better than keeping her locked in her room.
Old 15th September 2020, 23:09

Yes, she was off for sushi today with her sole remaining roomate!