Go Back   Shipping History > Miscellaneous/Other forum Issues > Computers and The Internet

Windows 7 EOL date.

Old 26th January 2019, 13:00

Windows 7 EOL date.

Following received from PC Pitstop in US:-

"Microsoft has released plans to end support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020.

What Does this Mean?
The end of life (EOL) of Windows 7 means Microsoft will no longer provide any security patches, software updates, or customer support to Windows 7 operating system (OS) users. Fortunately, users have plenty of time to update their systems to Windows 10. For many home users, updating to Windows 10 will not be a major issue. Businesses, however, may face larger complications.

As some may know, moving a business over to an entirely new operating systems may lead to major complications. This may be due to legacy systems that aren’t compatible with Windows 10, training new employees on the new system, ensuring IT staff is available for the actual transition as well as the transition period, and the cost associated with all of the above. In addition, some of the recent Windows 10 updates have created more problems than benefits. This in itself has left businesses in no rush to migrate to this particular OS.

Unfortunately, there are few options available for these businesses running Windows 7.

Windows 7 User Options
Just because Microsoft is no longer supporting the OS, doesn’t mean it will stop working. Therefore, users can continue running the OS, but at their own risk. The lack of support means security patches and updates will not be available. Therefore, all known security vulnerabilities that are typically patched by Microsoft, will be left exposed, creating a security risk.

If users opt to keep Windows 7, their best line of defense will be using an application whitelist as their primary method of malware detection. The whitelist will not patch the known security holes but will prevent all malicious executables from running on the device. Therefore, if a hacker attempts to exploit these known security gaps by installing malware — the whitelist will not allow it to run, as it is not a known safe program.

The second option is for users to pay for extended Microsoft support. To determine the cost associated with this, users are encouraged to contact Microsoft directly.

Lastly, users can develop and implement a plan to transition their PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Even if this option is chosen, an application whitelist security solution should still be implemented to effectively thwart malware attacks and keep data and endpoints secure."

Bring back XL...

geoff
Old 26th January 2019, 18:52

I've just upgraded all my Windows 10 working computers to the latest release Version 1809 Build 17763.292. All free of charge as initial upgrade from Windows 7 and above or purchase of Windows 10 was the only required outlay. I have had no problems so far with software and some of mine dates back to Windows 98.

My testing computer, now nearly 10 years old, is running Windows 10 Version 1903 Build 18323.1000. This technically is a beta version of the next release. Now it would appear Microsoft intended to upgrade Windows 10 every six months if you look at the Version Numbers, but that is running a few months behind. I find that encouraging because a full system upgrade every six months would mean quite a lot of extra work even for my few hours a week at the village school.

I'm afraid I don't really understand why people are so loathe to upgrade their operating systems given the constant increase in threats and their sophistication. I have yet to have had any major problems and I've upgraded literally dozens of machines, both laptops and desktops in the last few years.

Windows 7 was a good operating system yes. But a distributor and points and carburettors used to work in car as well, but who would go back to those ?
Old 26th January 2019, 19:06

Still prefer XL....

If my W10 update had gone smoothly went first done and my historic artwork photos had not disappeared, overflow of what I didn't have saved on remote hard drive, then I wouldn't be bothered about this EOL. However whilst I know of someone who has has 70,000 business computers upgraded without problem my own 'geek' initially encountered lost files too!
geoff
Old 26th January 2019, 21:00

You don't do a full system upgrade without: a) Backing up all personal files. b) Taking a disk image (built into Windows from 7 and up.) I take three images just in case.

Backup. Backup. Backup. The old saying is, you can't have enough.
Old 26th January 2019, 22:33

Seriously if I do live long enough to get another PC it will have inbuilt W10, otherwise I will stay with 7.

geoff