Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > General Cargo Ships

What type of ship is this?

Old 23rd January 2019, 02:40

What type of ship is this?

Hello dear people., I was wondering what type of ship is this one since it looks full already with just the steel of its own structure. Thanks..

https://www.dawn.com/news/668410
Old 23rd January 2019, 03:52

Double bottom tanker or bulker. Incredible amount of "bottom growth"!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:05

At the breakers yard perhaps.
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:43

Tanker which looks like its built on a modified Isherwood system. From the clothes the men are wearing I would guess at a Turkish breakers yard (rather than Indian or Pakistan) the growth would have accumulated with the vessel laying idle whilst waiting her turn to come up the beach. Very neat dismantling, not sure 'elf n safti' would approve of the gangway, but these guys are so athletic in their own way.

Just clicked on the photo and wish I'd done before putting pen to paper, as was surprised to find that it was Gadani Beach in Pakistan, as I lived in Pakistan for a number of years (way back) and had to visit there on a regular basis and it was never as tidy as that, and not a hard hat in sight. It was a thriving township where one could buy anything nautical, and great for spares for older vessels

Last edited by IJC 38; 23rd January 2019 at 19:46. Reason: Old age
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:48
Super Moderator

Greetings mrnobody and welcome to SH. Bon voyage.
Old 23rd January 2019, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makko View Post
Double bottom tanker or bulker. Incredible amount of "bottom growth"!
Rgds.
Dave

Dave, if you think that amount of growth to be incredible, you should have seen the bottoms of any of the tankers that completed 6 months or more as lightening (actually top-up) vessels at Bonny during the 1960s/'70s. They appeared more like the tropical coral reefs that David Attenborough is fond of presenting on TV, complete with waving fronds and huge lumps of shellfish.

Don't know if it was true, but I was told that the 'San Florentino', normally capable of 15 knots on passage, could not manage more than 11 knots on her homeward passage after being relieved at Bonny. Certainly when I joined her in Cammell Lairds her hull resembled a rock garden, with the growth several inches thick.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:09

I am impressed with the chap nonchalantly walking towards the camera on the chain links, at least he seems to have a hard hat on!
Keith
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:23

Hi Ron,
I went to sea at the dawn of the antifouling paint revolution! Blue Funnel/OF were actively involved in their development and a prototype was the "self polishing" paint, first trialled on the Bay boats. There were two main areas of interest. The first was hull efficiency which translates into fuel savings. The second was longer time between dry docking and more revenue. This is the reason that the last vessels in the company were green/turquoise underwater. The only "nod" to the traditional livery was the pink boot top.

Another innovation by BF/OF was the development of the onboard fuel testing kit in the early eighties. There had been some incidents with dodgy bunkers and the company wanted some way to check that what we were getting met the standard. The kit was very simple and quite complete.

Even so, there were always surprises. I recall that the worst fuel was in the USA, especially Houston. Several times, on the Barber Blue Sea round the world service, we bunkered only the minimum to get to the Middle East and then full bunkers there or a top up to get us to Singapore and full bunkers. The problem with some of the FO in the Middle East was a high wax contentent which blocked the purifiers. The only viable solution was to remove the sight glass and let the "turd" exit. This was then washed down to the slop tanks for treatment and disposal.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 25th January 2019, 18:47

Is this an old tanker ??
What with all the stairways I doubt it can be.
Wing tanks and centre tanks ??
Just an observation.
Old 26th January 2019, 10:20

Just right click on the photo in #1 and you will get all the information you need from the English language Pakistan paper 'Dawn'

I must say that Gadani Beach has changed beyond recognition