Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Aviation

Audix

Old 6th July 2017, 18:08

Question Audix

Anyone got any info or picture of a pre war plane called the Audix? They were some involved in the Battle of Habbaniyah in Iraq during WW2. They were normally used as trainers there but were used as Jury rigged bombers during the battle.
Old 6th July 2017, 18:14

Do you mean the Hawker Audax, Richard?.

http://fleetairarmarchive.net/aircraft/audax.html

There were many developments from the Hawker Hart, and the Hawker Demon was the single seat interceptor with many similarities. You can even see the origins of the Hawker Hurricane in these aircraft if you take the top wing off!

Roy.

Last edited by Dartskipper; 6th July 2017 at 21:16.
Old 6th July 2017, 18:38

Hahaha No wonder I couldn't find it on the www. I've always searched for Audix! I've read the official report, daily camp bulletin's and so on of the action, and I still managed to get it wrong.
Actually it looks like a pretty neat little aircraft.
Thanks for your prompt reply.
My dad served there from 1935 to 1943. Thanks again.
Old 6th July 2017, 21:15

My Uncle Eddie Hughes was also in those parts during WWII. It may have been Palestine, but he was in the RAF too, so may have been posted to different camps. Anyway, when he and his good lady got married after the War, my Aunt wanted a honeymoon in Blackpool because she hadn't been to the seaside since before the War started. I think my Uncle said something along the lines of "I'm heartily sick of looking at miles of sand!"
Old 6th July 2017, 22:01

Yes, I think that Palestine was a British Protectorate similar to Iraq. My dad didn't fly, he was with a section of RAF armoured cars in what later was to become the RAF Regiment. He used to patrol pipelines to all the places that are in the news these days. Mosul, Kirkuk ETC. He never lost his tan.
Old 7th July 2017, 07:08

That period between the wars, and during WWII , about the RAF based in the protectorates seems to be glossed over by many historians. I think the main reason for the RAF being there was to keep an eye on the oilfields and pipelines.

De Havilland DH9a aircraft were long serving relics of WWI that served in that part of the world until the early 1930's, too.

Regards.
Old 7th July 2017, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
That period between the wars, and during WWII , about the RAF based in the protectorates seems to be glossed over by many historians. I think the main reason for the RAF being there was to keep an eye on the oilfields and pipelines.

De Havilland DH9a aircraft were long serving relics of WWI that served in that part of the world until the early 1930's, too.

Regards.
I agree, the protectorate issues in the mid east have been quite well hidden. Not sure about being "Glossed over" as they rarely get a mention. More like painted over Aden was another one.
The account of the Habbaniyah "Incident" Is a real Boys Own story. It was a short battle, only a few days, but we gave 'em a thrashing, even without any or few real up to date war planes. Habbaniyah was mainly a flying school, and the Audax played a vital role.
Old 7th July 2017, 18:52

I met some fellows who had served in Aden in the 1960's, just before the government closed the base. One was a mate of my brother, both based at High Wycombe at the time we met, and the others were my brother's brother in law and his mate. (My brother is ex RAF.) These chaps had a few tales to tell, especially when it all kicked off and "Mad Mitch" was rounding up the rebels with his highlanders. One fellow was a driver of a fire appliance, and he was on duty when incoming rounds from the rebels put a nice new pattern in the windows.
Old 8th July 2017, 11:56
Super Moderator

My brother was stationed at Khoramshar with 102 squadron flying what was then a new aircraft - the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy.He used to recount stories of the troubles and Mad Mitch. Sadly no longer with me.

Neville