Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Health Issues

Cataracts

Old 19th April 2019, 12:27

Cataracts

Just had my second cataract operation (yesterday)all is well. Had my first one done February 12th. Dumped my distance glasses now (hooray) no more unsightly dints on the side of my nose. And funny enough I can breath better (Asthmatic) due to no pressure on my nostrils from having to wear those pesky specs.
Old 19th April 2019, 14:38

Mine went fine couple of years ago...next one needs doing but having bimonthly injections for diabetic macular oedema(at £950 a time for NHS),and will only do operation when course complete.
Geoff
Old 19th April 2019, 17:37

I had mine done 2 years ago. Now the left one is collecting debris on the lens have to have it sand blasted to clean it back to wearing glasses
Old 19th April 2019, 18:53

My two operations where a bit tricky for the surgeon due to me acquiring 'floppy iris syndrome' caused by the medication 'Tamsulosin' that I have to take for prostrate/bladder problems. It's not the only thing that the above medication affects. All told, I am happy with the outcome. I can see the dust now.
Old 19th April 2019, 20:47

I had both mine done a couple of years ago, far less aggro than a tooth clean at the dentist, like anything it does have some risk, but my recommendation is, get it done.
Old 20th April 2019, 02:49

Got my left one done last year, went to the Dr for my annual eyesight test for my driving license, [in Aus everyone over 80 must do it or no license} I had my glasses on,he said don't think you will pass next year, I said I have been driving without my glasses for the last two months, he checked my sight without my glasses, he said you have passed and don't need glasses to drive, this after 60 years of using them to drive. I may have to have the other one done shortly, maybe I'' get a pilots job.
Tugger
Old 20th April 2019, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger View Post
Got my left one done last year, went to the Dr for my annual eyesight test for my driving license, [in Aus everyone over 80 must do it or no license} I had my glasses on,he said don't think you will pass next year, I said I have been driving without my glasses for the last two months, he checked my sight without my glasses, he said you have passed and don't need glasses to drive, this after 60 years of using them to drive. I may have to have the other one done shortly, maybe I'' get a pilots job.
Tugger
After I had my left one done, on advice I removed the lens from that side of my specs. So I was walking and driving about like that for two months until I had my right eye done. Don't need distance glasses now.
Old 1st August 2023, 15:02

Yesterday I had my first cataract removed and the lens replaced with with an artificial (I'm having trouble typing this as I recover).
The new lens shows me that I've been missing the shorter wavelenghts for some years. In the garden, the buddleia, once magenta, is now royal blue. I thought then to check my kiln-fired enamels (a hobby) and am astonished. What once looked grubby, now is ablaze with colour. The other eye will be done sometime soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vajrasattva -2.5MB copy.jpg (123.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 1st August 2023, 16:15

That's good news but the Merchant Navy Programme is no longer on short wave.

(Good for you. One of my life's hazards only hinted at so far).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 1st August 2023, 16:23

My first eye cataract surgery is scheduled for August 24th, 2023.
Old 1st August 2023, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hayden View Post
My first eye cataract surgery is scheduled for August 24th, 2023.
Best wishes for that, Greg. I needed an eyepatch on day 1. Today, Day 2, The slight ache is gone. The glare much less. Mostly get along with sun glasses - but am typing this without, though the glare is still a bit much from the whites on the screen. But I can now see the hills in decent focus and the TV.
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:57
Super Moderator

Going in for left eye cataract removal and lens fitted next Tuesday also for remove a stitch in right eye, which was put in 19/01/23 because I moved when he put lens in. At least it’s free in the Spamedica hospital, maybe because of my age.

Last edited by R58484957; 2nd August 2023 at 18:37.
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
Yesterday I had my first cataract removed and the lens replaced with with an artificial (I'm having trouble typing this as I recover).
The new lens shows me that I've been missing the shorter wavelenghts for some years. In the garden, the buddleia, once magenta, is now royal blue. I thought then to check my kiln-fired enamels (a hobby) and am astonished. What once looked grubby, now is ablaze with colour. The other eye will be done sometime soon.
A chap I worked with had the cataracts surgery and reported back "I can now see things in full glorious technicolor again". I had mine done a few years later and noticed that a grey-blue label had become a vivid blue. The big problem for me was the differential in focus between ops. I had become increasingly short sighted as the cataracts developed - having had normal vision while at sea as a deck officer - and had normal vision lenses fitted. For a month I could see two different sized buses depending which eye I closed. I only drove twice in that state, once to see if I was safe and the second time to take my wife the half mile to the surgery when she was suffering from a severe migraine. The surgeon wanted to keep me short sighted! I said I wanted normal and I can now walk in the rain again and not have problems with water on glasses.
Old 9th August 2023, 09:49
Super Moderator

Had cataract successfully removed yesterday,very slightly painfull. Go back in two weeks to have stitch removed from right eye. Seconds before op started a man came in to theatre wanted to know my name /address and date of birth, I told him and he immediately disappeared. I actually came across one or two people who spoke English as there first language
Old 9th August 2023, 10:29

It does not matter if they spoke English or not as their first language, if they were not there you would be walking about with a white stick.
Old 11th August 2023, 23:55

driving License

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger View Post
Tugger
Here too in Canada, all persons over 80 years of age have to be tested to maintain their driving license. There is no actual road test but a vision test and a cognitive test to see if you are suffering from Alzheimer's. A couple of other small tests one s drawing a clock and putting the hands at 10 to 10. Then there is a video presentation and a short talk about driving and how to enter a highway from an on ramp etc. Think it's a good practice. You don't get your results but a sealed envelope to take to the licensing offce to get your renewal (if passed)