Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Engine Room

Wet steam lubrication

Old 10th September 2021, 05:27

Wet steam lubrication

I have received a post on this subject. The Manchester museum people state that this process was used in ships. I must admit I have never heard of it anywhere.
Here's the guts of the message: -

WEBINAR: The pros and cons of wet steam lubrication, online, 27 September
Join us in helping the UK’s Science and Industry Museum (Manchester) work out whether wet steam lubrication is right for their steam engines.

The Details

The UK’s Science and Industry Museum, Manchester (part of the Science Museum Group) has asked the Big Stuff community to help them work out an innovative plan for operating their steam engines in their newly designed Power Hall. They want to create a display that is exciting, informative AND environmentally friendly. However, their steam engines use large quantities of water which get contaminated with lubricating oil and have to be jettisoned as waste. So they are interested in using wet steam lubrication for the engines, but want to see how it works in practice and whether it will translate to the museum situation successfully.

Whether you have experience with this method or are just interested in knowing more please join us for a great debate. More information is available here and schematics of the proposed gallery plan and steaming plan are available at this link.

27 September | 8-10pm AEST
Old 10th September 2021, 10:28

Interesting. The only steam lubrication I have learned of is the labyrinth seal. No idea how this would apply to reciprocating machinery. A Google this morning I see that some vertical steam engines were operated without oil lubrication, relying on the 'accidental' condensate to provide cylinder/piston lubrication. In real life would a cooler than possible cylinder not reduce the efficiency? I also read (I suppose not surprising) that the oil technology could rely on there being some condensate present with it.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 11th September 2021, 06:23

oil in condensate

why not use a hot well and filter clothe worked ok at sea every steam engine I sailed with had cylinder lubrication including recip pumps
Old 11th September 2021, 09:41

Having now looked up the subject in my various books, I see that it is suggested that no cylinder lubrication is necessary with saturated steam, but superheated steam must have lubrication, and I doubt they would be using superheated steam in their museum.
The message appeared to suggest no lubrication anywhere, whereas it is still required on rods, crossheads, valve rods, etc and some of this oil & grease can find its way into the feed system. Thus, as Wazeyes says, an oil filter is a good idea anyway.
So the Science & Industry Museum people better get used to the idea of lubrication and filters. I just find it typical that such a group cannot find information that I found in a few minutes nor appear to have any experience in the operation of these machines. Its all a re-inventing the wheel story.
Old 11th September 2021, 11:19

An afterthought was steam up and down stripping pumps. More of us would know what was (is?) used than for propulsion or generators.

I was told that the reason the Kensington Science museum ran it's steam exhibits on occasional operation of electric motors rather than compressed air was because the expansion facilitated condensation and, in turn, corrosion. Unless these exhibits are to be run on a realistic duty cycle will that not be a problem this way as well?

(That now begs the question of lubrication if on compressed air. Perhaps that was also part of the story).
Old 11th September 2021, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillytoes View Post
Having now looked up the subject in my various books, I see that it is suggested that no cylinder lubrication is necessary with saturated steam, but superheated steam must have lubrication, and I doubt they would be using superheated steam in their museum.
The message appeared to suggest no lubrication anywhere, whereas it is still required on rods, crossheads, valve rods, etc and some of this oil & grease can find its way into the feed system. Thus, as Wazeyes says, an oil filter is a good idea anyway.
So the Science & Industry Museum people better get used to the idea of lubrication and filters. I just find it typical that such a group cannot find information that I found in a few minutes nor appear to have any experience in the operation of these machines. Its all a re-inventing the wheel story.

A. L. Breguet once said "give me the perfect oil, and I'll give you the perfect watch".

John Harrison made clocks that, due to careful design and choice of materials, ran dry - a phenomenal accomplishment, done by 1726!

My experience with mechanisms requiring lubrication is basically "if it spins, oil. If it slides, grease". Obviously, the second can't apply to piston rings.

One of the primary purposes of museums is conservation. I've seen this sort of ignorance many times, I'm sure I'll see it many more. I'll never have patience with it though.
Old 11th September 2021, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post

My experience with mechanisms requiring lubrication is basically "if it spins, oil. If it slides, grease". Obviously, the second can't apply to piston rings.

Crosshead bearings.
Old 12th September 2021, 01:35

Like knees. A trial for the tribalbiologist.

(I do hope they will not prescribe wet steam).

Obviously too much port tonight. Harrison and the advent of contact bearings:

We still grease these creatures. Why, since there should be no sliding at the contact areas? Should they not work with less loss if they were not encouraged to slip with grease?

I'll not sleep now worrying. Perhaps another bottle will help.

Last edited by Varley; 12th September 2021 at 01:49.