Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > The Arts & Entertainment forum

The Rolling Stones

Old 30th June 2019, 21:50

The Rolling Stones

Yesterday at a location a few KM from where I live there was a big event which featured the OLD group The Rolling Stones. The tickets for this event went on sale months ago and to no one's surprise the sold out in minutes. When I heard what these tickets cost I had to wonder at the people that spent from $200 to $1200 for the privilege(!) of going to see these old-timers perform. The thing is that except for the expensive ones it was to stand in a big field.
Our township of Oro-Medonte was certainly put on the map as this was their only Canadian show. Course our wonderful (?) Mayor had to get in his dibs and welcome them. The traffic around here was backed up for miles as fans came from far and wide and it was said 70,000 attended.
I was not one of them as I would not walk to the end of my driveway to see them.
Old 30th June 2019, 22:09

Cant be ar$ed to comment.
Old 1st July 2019, 06:03

I hold the dubious privilege of having attended the same school as Mick. As near as I can figure I was in the Fifth form when he was in the First. (Dartford Grammar School 1953?)
Old 1st July 2019, 09:59

Older than Mick but still breathing, Tom? Must be a healthy place that Dartford.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 1st July 2019, 14:04

Being a teenager of the sixties all I can say the music then was about a trillion to the power of a trillion times better than most of the crap they put out today.

And if anything … it's got better with age.

(I can't help but get the feeling there are some Mods in here … … or even worse … Boy George fans. )
Old 1st July 2019, 16:21

would anyone actually admit to being a Boy George fan?
Old 1st July 2019, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGouldrick View Post
would anyone actually admit to being a Boy George fan?
My late Dad was, and look where it got him!
Old 1st July 2019, 19:32

Bought my first LP in 1965, Rolling Stones No.2, from McIllroy's Shop in Larne. No pansies in East Antrim.
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Older than Mick but still breathing, Tom? Must be a healthy place that Dartford.
Probably had nothing to do with the fact that Dartford Grammar School for Girls was just around the corner, and their school field was adjacent to ours. Our cricket nets backed onto their field and it was quite common for a lazy bowler to lob a ball so that it could be lifted over the top of the netting by the batsman, eliciting a mass demonstration of fence vaulting ability onto a grass hockey field (to retrieve the ball) with the girls playing with their tunics tucked into the bottoms of their knickers. (For some reason their head mistress took right proper umbrage at this activity !!)
Old 8th July 2019, 09:33

I saw the Stones at Wembley in June 1982. Cost of the ticket was £10.80 - still got it! I thought that whilst they were good they were also passed their best.

Kind regards
Alan G
Old 20th August 2019, 02:28

I bought Dark side of the moon in the seventies and left it on the back parcel rack while I went on the sauce in the Occy Auckland. Car in Queen St on a hot summer day and when I got home and played it I thought I'd been smoking something.
Old 20th August 2019, 08:41

I bought that on a cassette. I was driving a 'Del Boy' Reliant Regal van at that time (only had a bike licence) and I popped it into the player and drove off. One of the tracks starts will all kinds of ticking and knocking noises and I had a serious sweat on because I thought the noises were coming from the engine. (The stereo was a cheapo one, but had no trouble filling a Reliant with sound. )

Was I ever glad when Floyd's guitars suddenly burst out of the speakers !!!
Old 20th August 2019, 10:02

I was giving a friend a lift and the tape was playing "Bitches Brew" by Miles Davis. I was calmly assured that he would kill me if I didn't take it off.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:23

I think I know that feeling. I had family down at the weekend and I took them down to Tintagel to see the new footbridge they've just opened. The driver (my cousin's husband) has a Satnav with Homer Simpson's voice as the annunciator.

You can't begin to imagine the things I wanted to do to that Satnav ten minutes into the journey.
Old 20th August 2019, 16:42

Following a Satnav is now part of the driving test. This is after they have removed tuning the radio and peeling an Orange!
Old 20th August 2019, 22:52

In July 1969 having made a date to meet a young lady in a quiet corner of London's Hyde Park I arrived at the designated spot to find that over a quarter of a million others had turned up for a Rolling Stones concert and the whole area was a heaving mass of humanity. After cursing my luck (and Jagger and co) I started to search for my latest flame clambering over a wide assortment of washed and unwashed 1960's youth! Eventually, against expectation and very much to my surprise, I came across her looking totally bewildered under one of the few remaining unoccupied trees. After coming to terms with the unexpected situation we decided to stay and watch the show even though we were not RS fans. I think we both enjoyed it but this may have had something to do with the fact that it was absolutely free! A very cheap first date for me!

Regards...Paul
Old 23rd September 2020, 16:27

When I did my stint in the Norwegian army, the hit of the year was "Mammy Blue", and that tune and others like it was played continuously on the canteen jukebox. A friend of mine and I used to scrape together enough Norwegian crowns to have the stones repeat "Brown Sugar" often enough to let us drink a cup of coffee and inhale a self rolled nicotine stick in some semblance of spiritual peace. So given that our weekly pay was merely 8 Crowns (about one GB Pound) I can say that I have paid dearly for the music of the Stones as well.

Last edited by SJB; 24th September 2020 at 01:58.
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:31

Here you go Mr S.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A1%26PC%3dU531
Old 23rd September 2020, 20:13

Thanks, but no thanks, I have heard that song a number of times too often... I remember a spy movie where the Russian baddies tortured the hero by playing "My boy Lollipop" with Millie over and over again. I would take Millie over Roger Whittaker any time.
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:35

Never a fan of the Stones. More alternative for me and now, electronic: Hardwell, Sander Van Doorn, etc. I think the freedom that they enjoy (no record label or own RL) is a plus.

Two entertainers that I would encourage mebers to stump up the cold, hard cash for are Tony Bennett and Barry Manilow - Real showmen! I haven't been to a concert in years but those two are really worth every penny!

Now, Boy George, Don't think so!

Real music died in the eighties, at a stretch, the early nineties. Pure crap commercially nowadays, apart from the techno scene which is very innovative.

I await an ME109 on my "six" very soon!

Rgds.
Dave
Old 24th September 2020, 00:50

I just finished playing a CD of JULIO, what a great voice.
Old 24th September 2020, 01:06

Is that Julio Iglesias, Uncle John? Sings in 180 languages and is unintelligible in any!!!
Rgds.
Nephew Dave.
Old 24th September 2020, 01:53

I got the "Tango" CD by Iglesias (senior) with the lyrics, and I can easily follow him with the Argentinian words written, so while knowing faint little Spanish, I still will claim that he is intelligible. He is mainly for the ladies though, quite a buttery voice.
Old 24th September 2020, 03:00

I like two songs of his, Hey, and To All The Girls I Loved Before, with Willie Nelson. He is rated as the 5th greatest artist in the world, worth millions and sings in five languages. Lots of women in his bed and about 4 or six kids, Known that is. But my favorite is or was Al Martino.
Old 24th September 2020, 09:00
Super Moderator

Mammy Blues. First time I have heard it, but much better than the trash we hear today.