Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

Retirement

Old 5th September 2017, 09:07

Retirement

Ten years this month since retirement, started GSS 1958 retired from the sea Sept 2007. a great life, and a enjoyable retirement.: ponytail:
Old 7th September 2017, 10:19

Retired from permanent employment in August 2000. Immediately taken on by Smit Pentow on contract. Went on for another five years until I got banged about a bit under a helicopter in a bad winch up and I thought 'I don't need this in my life' so I hung up my work boots in 2005. 50 years almost to the day since I started as as a deck Apprentice. A career I enjoyed from start to finish. Now I play golf and dig to the wife's specifications. To all retirees ENJOY!!!!!
Old 13th September 2017, 10:33
Super Moderator

Yes! I thoroughly enjoy my retirement. Took early retirement in 1998 when the writing was on the wall at GKA and the satellites were taking over my world. Enjoyed all my working life and feel very fortunate to have been in a job I loved. Not like so many who seem to be unhappy with their lot.
I used to play a fair bit of golf but the knees decided it was not quite what they wanted any more and being out of UK quite a lot the golf club fees were an unnecessary expense. The last year I was a member of my club I reckon each round cost me about £100.
Many interests and we travel and have our home in Spain where we spend a few months a year. Heading back there on Sunday as it happens.

Neville
Old 13th September 2017, 12:11

Coming up on six years since I retired from the community college. Still do a couple of hours a week in the village primary/junior school just looking after the network and computers.

Just got back from three days walking the Malvern hills and visiting the old historic towns in that area (never been there before.) Yep, I'm enjoying retirement, just can't do the long distances on a bike anymore, and no riding in the winter period.

(Oh yeah, and sod camping or sleeping in the car as I did many times in the past ... in that respect I've turned into a southern jessie and book into a hotel for these hill and mountain runs.)
Old 26th October 2017, 15:55

I haven't retired; so I presume I'm disqualified from contributing to this thread.
Old 26th October 2017, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naytikos View Post
I haven't retired; so I presume I'm disqualified from contributing to this thread.
Well there has to be one person on this site who isn't!

For last 7 years of my career I worked as a self-employed Transport Consultant, incorporating my profession as a Chartered Shipbroker plus other 'skills' learned over the years in warehousing, road,rail and sky transport ......but I decided to pack in just before my 70th birthday..........do I miss anything....Oh yes, the interface with other people,mainly men.......I live in a small village with very little footfall so seeing even a neighbour is a novelty. However, I do play a few holes of golf once or twice a week, as long as legs last out, and a natter or two with my partners about nothing serious is a good alternative.
geoff
Old 26th October 2017, 22:07

I passed retirement age last December, but still in full employment. Planning to keep going for a couple of years, and then retire to Devon. I have a few things lined up to keep me occupied when I stop working, because I have known too many people who stopped working with nothing to keep them interested and subsequently took the one way journey to the cemetery after a relatively short time.
Old 26th October 2017, 22:09

Hey, I go to the cemetery every day ..... (mainly to nick the flowers, but so far, the barmaid at my local is unimpressed !!)
Old 26th October 2017, 22:12

Reminds me of the time a bloke who was hard of hearing gave the milkman's horse and cart to his girlfriend for her birthday.

"You idiot," she told him, "I said I like Milk Tray."
Old 27th October 2017, 03:35

Retirment is the best job I ever had and don't have enough time to do all that I wish. Would have started earlier but needed the money. My advice is to take retirement as soon as possible as I know of some that worked longer and now have gone to pushing up daisies.
Old 27th October 2017, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
Retirment is the best job I ever had and don't have enough time to do all that I wish. Would have started earlier but needed the money. My advice is to take retirement as soon as possible as I know of some that worked longer and now have gone to pushing up daisies.
I enjoyed most of my work during a varied career. But I have to confirm that I don't know when I ever found the time to go to work. I don't even have enough time to retire, there's so much to do. Retirement is great though as I can lay in until 9:00 in the a.m. without feeling too guilty about it. (The Admiral is never shy about reminding me when there is some particular duty to perform though. )
Old 27th October 2017, 09:27

You mean ? you mean ? ... there's another 9 O Clock in the morning ???
Old 20th June 2018, 21:18

A little late to the table but what the heck I will make a post.

Been retired since May 1987 and enjoy it very much. Being a transplant here has its drawback, no mates to BS with, no pub to swing the lamp,most all my shipmates and army buddies are dead. On the bright side I have a good wife of 61 years and we both like to travel (Taking Cruises). Will keep on taking them until my legs give out. My favorite sport is Happy Hour, taken every day.
Old 21st June 2018, 08:26

[QUOTE=John Rogers;14790]My favorite sport is Happy Hour, taken every day. /QUOTE]

Here! Here! ---- or is that Hear! Hear! ??
Old 21st June 2018, 08:39

I have been retired for about ten years now and absolutely loving it. Not so much now but in the early days the thing I used to enjoy most was waking up and realising I did not have to fall out of my bunk straight away and head off to do whatever. I am a volunteer guide at the NT South Foreland lighthouse and the Kent Battle of Britain Museum and love helping out there. My wife is a guide at Canterbury Cathedral and also at South Foreland and we both enjoy the camaraderie that brings. I enjoy veg gardening more than I thought I would and that plus seeing the grandchildren and watching rugby just about fills any spare time I/We have got. When I retired my son said to me whatever you do do not do what Grandpa did (my father) and retire to the country to bucolic boredom. He was right, keep fairly busy and it is a great pastime.
Old 21st June 2018, 09:53
Super Moderator

John Rogers,

Thats a good innings John - 61 years - you must be doing something right! Unfortunately since we moved to the current house I have no local within walking distance. Our last house, it was 2 minutes door to door. Miss the pub but still take a few beverages at 1800 daily, my happy hour!

Neville
Old 28th June 2018, 08:18

Did my first trip to sea at aged 13 on deep water trawler out to Iceland and Bear Island, joined MN at 16, followed a career from cadet to Marine Supt for British, Swiss and UAE companies. Project director on UK and USA Aid programmes (mostly marine related), bit of shipbroking in London, started my own company for general and salvage grabs/equipment, but still involved in Aid programs at times, retired at 73 (some years ago now!) and thought what will I do, but fortunately have never found time to be bored!