Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Holiday & Trips Nostalgia

The Road West.

Old 31st January 2019, 23:20

It has just occurred to me (and I don't know how to write this so it makes sense)

I was halfway through writing this when I was called for my tea and I have no idea how to finish.
Old 31st January 2019, 23:24

It's an age thing. One day you'll sit in front of the computer and say: "What's wrong with this bloody television ?"

Then it'll go dark.
Old 1st February 2019, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
... and circumventing a strange dark place called Kidderminster, I arrived at the family home. (About 10 years older.)

Kidderminster was always a dark place to me. Back in 1966, when the M5 and the M6 consisted of a few short stretches of dual carriageway separated from each other by miles of countryside, I was on a 5-month course at Plymouth Tech (as it was then). One or two weekends a month I used to commute on Friday evening between my digs in Cattedown Road, Plymouth and the family home to the East of Manchester, returning on Sunday night.

The route involved following the A38 but taking in what bits of the motorways were available. At that time the M6 stopped somewhere near Cannock, North of Birmingham and coming back I used to divert off to the West and run down through Kidderminster to join the A38 somewhere near Worcester. From then on it was A38 all the way, passing close enough to Highbridge to see the antennas of GKA.

It was just about 300 miles and my personal target was to do the journey in under 6 hours. I only failed a couple of times but as I was crawling through the part of Worcestershire where Kidderminster lies, my average speed was always dropping massively and I was cursing the roads and the traffic. Once I got past Tewkesbury and on into Somerset, I could usually recover the time, but I hated the drag through the West Midlands.

Those were the days, when speed cameras didn't exist and police cars rarely went out in the dark.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 16th August 2020, 11:43

A month ago I had a couple of nights in Lynton in order to visit the Valley of the Rocks. I've lived in the West Country for 30 plus years now, but never visited this place, which is about an hours drive away.
Have to say I was quite impressed with the walk from Lynton to the Valley in great weather and the paths that wind their way along and to the side of the ridge. And in the middle of all this, is a cricket pitch !!! ... All I can say is you'd have to be a hell of a batsman to knock a ball out of that park ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ValleyRocks6.jpg (241.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:26

Great seating arrangements on the crags, though...

Alick