Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Nostalgia - Days Gone Bye

Tennant beer can lager ladies

Old 11th June 2017, 23:01

Tennant beer can lager ladies

From 1962 to early 90s there were different generations of these cans with various ladies on them. In 1975 on Shell tanker Mangelia I seem to remember Susan, Linda and about four others in a case. The men would often ask whoever was by the fridge behind bar for a specific one, eg " I'll have a Linda" I didn't really see much of them on ships after that but apparently they were still going till 1992 in different forms. I thought perhaps it night have beaten stopped as sex disc act came in end of 75 but it appears they were still going until early nineties.

I was told there was a wall built of them in a bar at a hotel out in P Gulf.

Here are two out the labels from list of them that can be googled.

http://www.cannyscot.com/

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.c...-lager-3499111
Old 12th June 2017, 08:15

I was in Glasgow last Friday and passed the Wellpark Brewery, they have a small museum there and all the cans are on display and the history of how the "ladies " cans started and what happened to the girls. For those members who live close they offer a one hour tour and a pint of Tennents at the end for £5.
http://www.tennents.com/tour/
Old 12th June 2017, 10:07

Aye, their beer was like their ladies.
Old 12th June 2017, 14:00

I was on a ship in Glasgow in the mid 60's and a couple of us did the Tennents tour. I can't quite remember where in Glasgow the brewery was but am pretty sure we got there by bus. We did the tour and got to the hospitality area, or whatever it was called, and were given the free pint. We mentioned to someone we were off a ship and we had drunk hundreds of gallons of Tennents between us over time. Someone in authority decided we deserved to stay and have free beer which you will be surprised to hear we took full advantage of. Chucked out at 5pm and we had to take a taxi back as not capable of navigating the bus network. Grand day out. Oddly enough I hate lager now and only drink real ale but I loved Tennents back then.