Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Shipping Lines > Prince Line

Pacific Steam Navigation Company

Old 30th October 2018, 05:28

Pacific Steam Navigation Company

PSNC's ship Salaverry which I spent two happy years on as a deck apprentice was sold on to Greek Owners. The ship was lost off South Africa and I read somewhere that she sprung a leak and was abandoned.

Does anyone out there know the actual circumstances to the sinking, were any lives lost etc? I recall we use to put sea water in the bottom of the wooden clinker built lifeboats to swell the planks up to make them a bit more watertight. Hope the Greeks did the same.
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:58

salaverry

a mr aj hawker has a picture of her on the ships nostalgia web site - i believe she sunk after she had left pacific owners - but i speak under correction
Old 3rd November 2018, 10:12

I was on 'Samanco' 'Santander' 'Salaverry' 'Sarmiento' 'Salinas' and 'Salamanca' in the 1950's

'Salinas' wasthe first ship to arrive at Pitcairn Island on 1st January 1956 (on charter to Shaw Saville), also the commodore ship of Suez invasion 1956

Sarmiento 1957 on Charter to Safmarine, so got away from the WCSA for a few trips, but Cuba (pre Castro) and the WCSA amongst my favourite shore runs.

Best Master I sailed with in PSNC was Captain Litherland, a true gentleman, strict but fair, a couple of others who shall remain nameless (as they have living relatives) were best described as 'shouldn't be in the job'