Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Nostalgia - Days Gone Bye

The wind from the sea

Old 20th May 2017, 18:42

The wind from the sea

I went to the cliffs at Bempton recently, 200+ feet high and birds on every square inche of ledge. We stood on the wooden decking that is now installed on the promontories, leaned against the railings and a wind swept in from the sea and I was back on the Glenogle, on watch and walking to and fro on the bridge wing, eyes peeled to spot something before anyone else did. That took me back so clearly to 45 years ago. Anyone else care to tell us a trigger that can do that?
Old 20th May 2017, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I went to the cliffs at Bempton recently, 200+ feet high and birds on every square inche of ledge. We stood on the wooden decking that is now installed on the promontories, leaned against the railings and a wind swept in from the sea and I was back on the Glenogle, on watch and walking to and fro on the bridge wing, eyes peeled to spot something before anyone else did. That took me back so clearly to 45 years ago. Anyone else care to tell us a trigger that can do that?
I wonder if the Farmer down that way took my advice and grew Mushrooms in the Bunker, I suppose in today's world it could be the Bush.
Old 20th May 2017, 22:14

The bunker there has been trashed and is now dangerous, with contamination with asbestos pretty well throughout and deep pits concealed by suspended floors.
Old 21st May 2017, 07:10

Quote:
The bunker there has been trashed and is now dangerous, with contamination with asbestos pretty well throughout and deep pits concealed by suspended floors.
What a shame the Bungalow would have made a rather nice holiday home for the bird watching fraternity along with a decent sized wine cellar complete with swimming baths.

Last edited by Chadburn; 21st May 2017 at 07:15.
Old 8th June 2017, 08:26

Just had the first good winter storm in years to hit the Western Cape. Did all the right things: steady North gale. backing NW. rain starts, backing SW and wind moderating. Rin clears. Unfortunately Knysna and Plettenburg Bay on the South Coast about 400 kilometers away are suffering from fire storms that `with the hot dry winds that are running ahead of the frontal system. Such is the force vof nature!. Will go down to the beach later as the swell will be about 12 meters by mid-morning, 12 hours after the depression. Barometer bottomed yesterday afternoon so will see how the new beach protection holds up to its first real test.
Old 17th November 2019, 11:02

Quote:

Not as dramatic as yours at Bempton, but when I hear sparrows chirping on a chimney pot it takes me back to taking Morse weather reports from CTV, Monsanto Radio in Portugal. His transmitter chirruped and chirped in an entertaining manner. He was known as Gentle Jesus for his quaint English: gentle breezes, light zephyrs, smooth wavelets. A touch of Percy Bysshe Shelley there. Ode to the West Wind - was it?
Old 17th November 2019, 14:14

I always got the impression 'Gentle Jesus' didn't approve of bad weather, so he didn't send any. You'd be end over ending in a fiery wind driven Atlantic swell which he'd described as gentle breezes and smooth wavelets.