Go Back   Shipping History > Miscellaneous/Other forum Issues > Computers and The Internet

Fatty Windows. Upgrade space.

Old 14th July 2019, 12:00

Fatty Windows. Upgrade space.

I have just managed to get the latest upgrade to Windows 10 to squeeze itself onto my Tablet, mainly by deleting (hopefully to put back again) all MY stuff. I did get one chance before doing this to connect a device with 10 Gigbytes of space, it thought it could manage with that.

What is all this space doing? Cortana seems to be fixed, it won't completely go away, but I have un-installed anything else I can, mainly because it is just bloat. I want my computer to do things I want, not keep adding "fun" things that seem pointless. Could be me...

I remember there used to be competition to slim Windows down, the ambition was to get it on a 640K floppy. Couldn't get the logo on that now.

Last edited by Farmer John; 14th July 2019 at 12:02.
Old 20th July 2019, 14:32

Hiya, I have a small tablet that operates W10 ok though struggles a bit - or more than a bit - with some of the latest updates.
If it's any help, I padded out the memory with an add-in SD chip, that holds all the personal stuff, but most important thing I have found is getting shot of the build up of assorted garbage with regular - and especially just before an update - disc clean-ups and defrags, especially 'clean up system files'. Biggest problem is 'Old Windows Versions' which can take up 15-20 gigs just holding the old system you no longer need. Add to that all the update garbage and you can have a whole lotta memory bunged up doing not very much.
Agree there's a lot of nonsense in the system that may entertain the younger generation but not much use to anyone more 'normal'
Regards

Chas
Old 20th July 2019, 15:26

I have a card with data on, I have set it as the source for some program files too, the rest of your comments on disc cleanups and so on is useful. Thanks.
Old 20th July 2019, 16:27

I'm afraid to, disc clean-ups and defrags, especially 'clean up system files' , in case I bugger things up and loose files & photos. Also am afraid to bring to computer shop in case the bill runs into hundreds. Am resigned to sitting behind a getting-slower Toshiba. Any pearls of wisdom?
Old 20th July 2019, 17:28

Plugin USB drives are cheap, put your photos on one as a copy. I don't connect it to my tablet. I don't really have any pearls, just some old Aniseed balls part sucked, they look the same.
Old 20th July 2019, 18:34

If in doubt, back-up! On my little 8inch tablet, my main travelling companion - got me out of trouble more than once - presently on W10 v.1903 with no problems though some updates did need to be done using USB image.
Clean-ups not to be cautious about, seems to go fine, then follow up with a defrag. Depends how long since it was done but can be very slow. If your beast is getting a bit doddery it can often sort it out.
All my kit, main and portable now on v1903 with no probs.

ChasD
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:27

Can anyone tell me what the small bit on the end of the title box is. It is stopping me starting threads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (18.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 2nd October 2019, 23:39

Sorry JW. Your copy and paste is mainly blacked out. If it wasn't maybe someone (else propapbly) might be able to help!
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Sorry JW. Your copy and paste is mainly blacked out. If it wasn't maybe someone (else propapbly) might be able to help!
I am talking about the little square box on the end. It's plain to see. Try starting a new thread. you will see your title box is different. It also happens when I try to buy online. It appears when I cancel McAfee which is forcibly installed with Windows 10.
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:59

Sorry JW.Your paste as it is displayed on mine is a mainly black 160 x 60 rectangle at the top LHS of screen.

There is a small additional black box at the end of the title page which I agree seems to have no mirror when I try starting a new thread.

I would suspect that McAfee uninstall was not completed somehow. In the absence of any other advice I would try installing again and then uninstalling.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:18

First time I've heard of McAfee being forcibly installed with Windows 10, and I'm running several computers with 10, including this one just upgraded to Version 1903 build 18990.1. Defender is built into Windows 10, but not McAfee. It does sometimes install from various websites as the tickbox to stop that is often small and inconspicuous, but that's the site, not the OS.
I too am seeing blacked out boxes on your screen shot. It should look something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot2.jpg (74.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
First time I've heard of McAfee being forcibly installed with Windows 10, and I'm running several computers with 10, including this one just upgraded to Version 1903 build 18990.1. Defender is built into Windows 10, but not McAfee. It does sometimes install from various websites as the tickbox to stop that is often small and inconspicuous, but that's the site, not the OS.
I too am seeing blacked out boxes on your screen shot. It should look something like this:
My theme is BLACK. In your image the title box at the top is correct. My title box has a small appendage attached. It will not allow me to include an image of it in this post. The McAfee keeps being added every time I do a full recovery/install. I have deleted it three times after it prompts me to upgrade to premium and pay for it. What annoys me is I have to reset everything to my liking every time I do a reinstall/recovery. Windows Defender can't find the culprit nor can Malwarebytes that I installed last night. Glad for your interest and help.
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWin View Post
My theme is BLACK. In your image the title box at the top is correct. My title box has a small appendage attached. It will not allow me to include an image of it in this post. The McAfee keeps being added every time I do a full recovery/install. I have deleted it three times after it prompts me to upgrade to premium and pay for it. What annoys me is I have to reset everything to my liking every time I do a reinstall/recovery. Windows Defender can't find the culprit nor can Malwarebytes that I installed last night. Glad for your interest and help.
Can you see the appendage now ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (51.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:07

Not sure what to say. Can you change your theme temporarily to give us a better view ? Are you getting this with different browsers ? What browser is that screenshot of ? When you get Windows how you like it take an image (you will need a separate drive for that, which can be internal or external.) The software for this is all built into Windows 10. That way you can still get back to your personalised version.
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:28

Quote:
Not sure what to say. Can you change your theme temporarily to give us a better view ? Are you getting this with different browsers ? What browser is that screenshot of ? When you get Windows how you like it take an image (you will need a separate drive for that, which can be internal or external.) The software for this is all built into Windows 10. That way you can still get back to your personalised version.
Can't understand why you don't see the bit on the end of the long TITLE box. It only happens when I uninstall McAfee. I am going to do a recover/reinstall/reset or whatever you want to call it. I get the feeling they (Microsoft Edge) don't like me using (https://www.Google.co.uk/). Instead they want me to have a full screen of various topics in my face and not leave me in peace with my viewing and taking part in S/H. And the odd news page.
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:39

This is my Browser >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (113.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:54

Install and try another browser. Chrome, Firefox, Opera are probably the most popular. There are others. Seeing a small black square at one end of a slot isn't of much help.
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:08

Quote:
Install and try another browser. Chrome, Firefox, Opera are probably the most popular. There are others. Seeing a small black square at one end of a slot isn't of much help.
What happens is, when I click on 'Post New Thread' or 'Post Reply' and start to type in the box, the page shuts down and displays my desk top. It does it when I try to buy something online. When I start to type my details, it shuts down and displays my desk top. That's all I can ad.
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:15

OK, so try another browser. That sounds to me like the browser is crashing. If whatever is causing it is crashing all browsers, then you confirm the problem is general.
I use Edge also (I'm sort of obliged to.) But if anything quirky happens while I'm using the Internet then I do try another browser, just to see if it's general. You address the Internet via your browser, so .. when something peculiar happens, you have to start narrowing it down. Trying another browser might help.
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:20

Quote:
OK, so try another browser. That sounds to me like the browser is crashing. If whatever is causing it is crashing all browsers, then you confirm the problem is general.
I use Edge also (I'm sort of obliged to.) But if anything quirky happens while I'm using the Internet then I do try another browser, just to see if it's general. You address the Internet via your browser, so .. when something peculiar happens, you have to start narrowing it down. Trying another browser might help.
Will give it a go.
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:30

Well I didn't change my browser. I had a look at some of my settings. When I looked at the themes I changed it. That solved the problem. I changed it back a couple of times and the problem returned. It doesn't make sense to me but it worked.
Old 4th October 2019, 08:57

Glad to hear you fixed it …
Old 4th October 2019, 11:11

Quote:
Glad to hear you fixed it …
I am happy I found the cause. Wish I had tried it a month ago before I did two recovery/resets. Lost some of my stuff and had to go through all the rigmarole of new email and passwords. I had the black theme because the light themes make my eyes ache a bit. Never could stand bright light. I did try it because you mentioned themes.
Old 4th October 2019, 12:29

Well I do take your point on bright screens. I'd much prefer a darker background to lessen eyestrain.

There is a dark mode available if you go to Settings, Personalisation and then Colours. But it doesn't seem to do that much.
Old 4th October 2019, 12:54

I did change it in personalisation. #16 is how it was 'BLACK'. This is how it is now but I am getting used to it. Will leave it as it is. >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (103.0 KB, 3 views)