Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > The Pig & Whistle

Titanic Exhibition, Melbourne

Old 28th March 2024, 09:31

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Titanic Exhibition, Melbourne

There is currently an exhibition featuring the sinking of Titanic at the Melbourne Museum until 21 April.

The YMs and I were given tickets a while ago and we went along today 28/3 (before the school holidays ). On entry one is given a 'Boarding Pass' with the name and details of a passenger or crew member. Yes, a bit of a gimmick, I know.

Anyway, as first class passenger, I survived but the YMs who was third class drowned along with two children. The salient thing to me was the fate of the Strauss couple who chose to remain together and were drowned.

Interesting enough with replicas of the grand staircase, first class and third class cabins plus a heap of broken china and corroded bits and pieces. Not nearly as opulent as I expected.

Overall, little that we oldies didn't already know in greater detail or have access to.

Speaking of opulent one could have a High Tea there for $A80 head. There is only so much tea and cakes/scones etc that one can consume and they certainly don't add up to $A80 each in our case. We therefore had lunch elsewhere.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 6th April 2024 at 09:50.
Old 28th March 2024, 11:34

Interesting enough with replicas of the grand staircase, first class and third class cabins plus a heap of broken china and corroded bits and pieces. Not nearly as opulent as I expected.

I'm not sure if you fully grasped the wider story of the Titanic, it hit an iceberg, filled with water and sank. On the way down it broke in two and spread a debris field of hundreds of items at about 12500 ft. Its a bloody shipwreck and you're looking for your lunch on a Wedgewood dinner service. I will ask our resident guru, the enigmatic Tmax to educate you.
Easter Greetings.
Old 28th March 2024, 23:48

I knew that you would be pleased that I, as a first class passenger (naturally ), survived. Probably on the 'after me you can be next into the lifeboat' principle.

Easter greetings to you and all on here.

Haven't seen Tmac on TV here for ages? Perhaps the anniversary of the sinking will bring him out next month.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 28th March 2024 at 23:53.
Old 29th March 2024, 07:46

If the Memsahib, me and the clan were sitting down to a $A40 a head lunch we would expect, at a minimum; meat, spuds and gravy.
Themed Tea Rooms at tourist attractions are generally a rip-off and you are to be commended for taking your custom elsewhere.
Old 6th April 2024, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
There is currently an exhibition featuring the sinking of Titanic at the Melbourne Museum until 21 April.

The YMs and I were given tickets a while ago and we went along today 28/3 (before the school holidays ). On entry one is given a 'Boarding Pass' with the name and details of a passenger or crew member. Yes, a bit of a gimmick, I know.

Anyway, as first class passenger, I survived but the YMs who was third class drowned along with two children. The salient thing to me was the fate of the Strauss couple who chose to remain together and were drowned.

Overall, little that we oldies didn't already know in greater detail or have access to.

Speaking of opulent one could have a High Tea there for $A80 head. There is only so much tea and cakes/scones etc that one can consume and they certainly don't add up to $A80 each in our case. We therefore had lunch elsewhere.
Couple of photos of replica Grand Staircase taken by son on 5 April 2024.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3849_1(SH).jpg (1.07 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3850_1(SH).jpg (268.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 6th April 2024 at 09:51. Reason: Added photos