Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

Disaster waiting to happen.

Old 25th November 2020, 17:10

Post Disaster waiting to happen.

I saw a BBC report this morning that a storage tanker the FSO Safer (360m long, 400000dwt) carrying over 1 million barrels of crude, has been moored but abandoned off Yemen in the Red Sea for over 5 years. The Houthi rebels have denied any access during this time so no maintenance has been carried out. She is 45 years old!.
The UN have been trying to arrange access for years and finally hope to have an inspection done in the New Year. That could just be the start of further problems if the ship is deteriorating, while arguments are still ongoing between the rebels and Yemeni Govt. regarding cargo ownership.
The environmental disaster could be immense in a country ravaged by years of war with no resources to deal with it.
We all know with ships it is out of sight out of mind. Lets hope in this case a disaster is not what gets peoples attention!
Old 26th November 2020, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian N View Post
I saw a BBC report this morning that a storage tanker the FSO Safer (360m long, 400000dwt) carrying over 1 million barrels of crude, has been moored but abandoned off Yemen in the Red Sea for over 5 years. The Houthi rebels have denied any access during this time so no maintenance has been carried out. She is 45 years old!.
The UN have been trying to arrange access for years and finally hope to have an inspection done in the New Year. That could just be the start of further problems if the ship is deteriorating, while arguments are still ongoing between the rebels and Yemeni Govt. regarding cargo ownership.
The environmental disaster could be immense in a country ravaged by years of war with no resources to deal with it.
We all know with ships it is out of sight out of mind. Lets hope in this case a disaster is not what gets peoples attention!
That makes uncomfortable reading
Old 26th November 2020, 13:11

I have just read that the Houthi authorities have at last consented to an inspection.
UN hope to get people and equipment on site Jan/Feb next year.
That suggests that the UN were not exactly ready to go.
Old 26th November 2020, 13:34

I doubt the UN have an operational arm ready to spring into action at the drop of a blue beret. I don't have a clue how it does work but imagine they will co-opt a commercial concern under the management of a member state (and I might well exclude the UK. SOSREP's salvage of Napoli was an excellent example with Robin Middleton himself leading the team, I have had experience of another team, still in 'his time' and was less than impressed). Perhaps the USCG has a 'standing' ability but commercial salvors would surely have the stomach to go immediately providing the money is on the table. Anyone know?
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 26th November 2020, 14:27

Here is the article
https://gcaptain.com/houthis-approve...eid=54fc573c11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.JPG (26.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 27th November 2020, 01:51

Thanks ML. From that it appears the last intervention was under the aegis of the owners. Presuming Safer Corp to be that entity in some guise or other.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 4th December 2020, 18:29

I piloted ships alongside the Safer a few times when working as a pilot in Yeaman and it was a fairly strong and stout vessel but Yeaman Hunt did not like British pilots working there and wanted American Pilots.The tugs assisting were Dutch and very helpful not like Yeaman Hunt management who treated us with contempt. The crew on the Safer then were Italian and easy to get on with.In my time there we had a break out after warning the American supervisor that the in coming tanker and the Safer were over the tonnage for the terminal, the New York Office said it was okay.