Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Aviation

Airline and airport collectibles

Old 30th June 2018, 14:42

Airline and airport collectibles

I am a collector of airline inflight and airport magazines but have loads of other items such as stickers, lanyards, keyrings, safeties, boarding passes etc as well.

I would like to know how many of you any have civil aviation related items and what do you collect .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alitalia Ulisse May 2017.jpg (207.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Alitalia Ulisse Nov. 2017.jpg (282.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Aeroflot Scan 1.jpg (135.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Aeroflot Scan 5.jpg (105.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 30th June 2018, 17:17

I gave my collection of vacuum cleaners away. They were only collecting dust.
Old 1st July 2018, 15:48

Old 1st July 2018, 17:59

I once flew business class from Amsterdam to Abu Dhabi via Dhahran. I was the only person who flew on from Dhahran and the air hostess forgot to give out the little blue and white Delft Dutch houses KLM gave away at that time. I got the lot and still have them in a line on a cabinet. Not sure if that really counts as a collectible but it is the best I can do. Took her out for a date the next night, that was perhaps more of a collectible!
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:19

I still have a pamphlet of BOAC 1967 time table, tried to upload it but no go, will try again

I can recall Tony flew to Tokyo for joining Trident tankers in 1971 with VC-10, if the schedule still applied to 1971 it was BA 796 on every thursday and BA 788 on every sunday according to this pamphlet

Last edited by William Wong; 2nd July 2018 at 12:27.
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:21

William, you have a brilliant memory. It was in 1970 actually but I can certainly forgive you one year remembering someone else's travels. None of the 19 hour in the air killer non stop flights flights in those days. I have no hope of remembering the flight number but William is correct it was a BOAC VC10 and we stopped in Frankfurt, Istanbul, Calcutta, Hong Kong and the the last leg to Tokyo. You had to be a real man to fly long haul in those days! I am virtually certain we did not leave London on a Sunday so it must have been BA796. What made it worse was that a small group of Trident Tanker men had stayed at the MN Hotel in Lancaster Gate and had a few beverages the night before and we were not in the best condition for what I recall being an early start. Would love to do it all over again.
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:59

Hi Cruise ship fan
I don't collect anything it just accumulates; my wife has threatened me she will bring in Steptoe and Sons . While working on renovations in a pottery works in Auckland in the 60s I purloined four small milk jugs that Air NZ used at that time, two green with their motif and two brown, none of the plastic non milk rubbish in those days, I often wonder if there are any still around.
tugger
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:31

Hi Tony, I am trying to upload a pamphlet of BA and as you mentioned about Istanbul on yr flight to Tokyo I had a special encounter when flown from Istanbul to HK via Teheran in 1976 per Panam 707's and would like to share it
It was as soon as we landed at Teheran a lady officer with a walkie talkie was already waiting in the staircase checking our identities and hurriedly put us ( 5-6 ) onto a jeep rushing to another platform where a Panam 747 ( later learnt that it was a clipper flight from New York ) was already there waiting us to board. As I walked up and along the aisle I could feel the almost full house passengers seemed to have waited too long from their eyes and as soon as I made my seat belt fastened the plane was already moving. That was how we made our transit, not too bad all right and must say they were very efficient including luggage transfer but pity the meals we had all along were 3 times all chicken

Last edited by William Wong; 3rd July 2018 at 15:54.
Old 4th July 2018, 04:21

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wong View Post
Hi Tony, I am trying to upload a pamphlet of BA and as you mentioned about Istanbul on yr flight to Tokyo I had a special encounter when flown from Istanbul to HK via Teheran in 1976 per Panam 707's and would like to share it
It was as soon as we landed at Teheran a lady officer with a walkie talkie was already waiting in the staircase checking our identities and hurriedly put us ( 5-6 ) onto a jeep rushing to another platform where a Panam 747 ( later learnt that it was a clipper flight from New York ) was already there waiting us to board. As I walked up and along the aisle I could feel the almost full house passengers seemed to have waited too long from their eyes and as soon as I made my seat belt fastened the plane was already moving. That was how we made our transit, not too bad all right and must say they were very efficient including luggage transfer but pity the meals we had all along were 3 times all chicken
Had a similar transit in Perth enroute from Melbourne to Port Hedland years ago.
767 flight from Melbourne was late and we were met by a dragon lady with a radio and frog marched from the 767 to a 717 that was already loaded and delayed waiting for us. Needless to say our luggage did not make the connection.