Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 27th January 2018, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloggie View Post
Could I tempt you out o the pit with a nice 12 year old Scapa Tmac?

McC
Awwwwww go on then.... you are not a bad lad after all

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 28th January 2018, 06:53

Mr. McCloggie -- now all our contra-- Oh! er cargo has now been safely loaded and stored, perhaps you would be so kind as to hoist the Blue Peter so we can officially be on our way in the morning. (I strongly suspect with the weather here in Gdansk at this time of year, there are many Blue Peters aboard, but you will find the one to be hoisted in the flag locker on the bridge.)
Old 28th January 2018, 07:41

You want me to pull an A2 Pacific locomotive up the mast and I am to use the biggest one on the bridge? I know the GD is special but I never knew there was a loco shed onboard!!!

Ah well I will try my best!

McC

Last edited by McCloggie; 28th January 2018 at 07:47.
Old 28th January 2018, 09:17

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Something is amiss - we do not normally announce our departure in advance and usually sneak out of port at full speed in the dead of night.
Why are publicising our departure on this occasion? Is it, perhaps, to allow any friends that we have made in Gdansk time to sneak aboard?
Or is Red still shopping ashore? We cannot afford to sail without her in case in case someone breaks a nail.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 28th January 2018 at 09:23.
Old 28th January 2018, 09:48

Quote:
You want me to pull an A2 Pacific locomotive up the mast and I am to use the biggest one on the bridge? I know the GD is special but I never knew there was a loco shed onboard!!!

McC
I will give you a hand, we always keep steam up on a suitable locomotive. Basset & Lowke made the very best ones, many a hearth rug has been sacrificed at the firebox door of their infernal machines. The trick is to use separate halliards for the tender and not to spill the coal.
Old 29th January 2018, 07:45

Quote:

McC
Ah! Mr. McCloggie, we have not just a shed, but a roundhouse, complete with turntable, etc.. We also have a fine collection of Merchant Navy Class loco's with which, I believe Sir William is very familiar.
Old 29th January 2018, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Something is amiss - we do not normally announce our departure in advance and usually sneak out of port at full speed in the dead of night.
Why are publicising our departure on this occasion? Is it, perhaps, to allow any friends that we have made in Gdansk time to sneak aboard?
Or is Red still shopping ashore? We cannot afford to sail without her in case in case someone breaks a nail.
Sometimes boldness is the best approach (OR DEPARTURE) All the head honchos ashore will be so flabergasted at such blatant behaviour, they will not suspect that we are engaged in any nefarious pursuits. Perhaps Mr. McCloggie will also hoist the "H" flag when we embark the pilot. (Providing he brings the usual case of fine spirits as an oblation) :
Old 29th January 2018, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
Sometimes boldness is the best approach (OR DEPARTURE) All the head honchos ashore will be so flabergasted at such blatant behaviour, they will not suspect that we are engaged in any nefarious pursuits. Perhaps Mr. McCloggie will also hoist the "H" flag when we embark the pilot. (Providing he brings the usual case of fine spirits as an oblation) :
Got it. Offence is always the best method of defence.
Old 29th January 2018, 16:39

I believe that apart from the Basset Lowke A2 hoisted up the mast I should fly Flag "G" initially. When we have our Pilot onboard Flag "H" will of course be flown.

I may be wrong with this - but in my time I normally did my own coastal pilotage.

Whatever, we will check, the correct signals will be shown and there will be some Scapa for the Pilot!

McC
Old 29th January 2018, 23:14

Ah, Mr McC, Master at Arms.

Just to clarify, (as you have already found out, there are lots of things on the GDII just lurking to trip up the unwary,) when the Pilot steps aboard, you need to make sure that he isn't actually the Pilot of that whirlybird-noisy-thingy stowed below on the ice-hockey rink.

No, I still don't know why we have the Pittsburgh Penguins facing off against the Philly Fliers either. Something to do with a chap by the name of Stanley, I believe.
Old 29th January 2018, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
Ah, Mr McC, Master at Arms.

Just to clarify, (as you have already found out, there are lots of things on the GDII just lurking to trip up the unwary,) when the Pilot steps aboard, you need to make sure that he isn't actually the Pilot of that whirlybird-noisy-thingy stowed below on the ice-hockey rink.

No, I still don't know why we have the Pittsburgh Penguins facing off against the Philly Fliers either. Something to do with a chap by the name of Stanley, I believe.
Just let me see if I understand what is going on; we have a Basset Lowke A2 hoisted up the mast, we are offending, not defending. Now you are talking about Penguins and Philly Fliers and someone called Stanley. Butterfly, I am feeling a little like Alice must have felt when she went down the rabbit hole.

Can you, or anyone, explain to me what the hell is going on now aboard the GD or what it is that you have been taking.

Vicki D
Old 30th January 2018, 01:24

Well, the Pilot of the whirlybird-noisy-thingy will no doubt be a WAFU so should stand out pretty clearly!

McC
Old 30th January 2018, 05:36

Quote:
Ah! Mr. McCloggie, we have not just a shed, but a roundhouse, complete with turntable, etc.. We also have a fine collection of Merchant Navy Class loco's with which, I believe Sir William is very familiar.
Familiar. Had a love affair with those type locaos since I first fired to one Tom.
Old 30th January 2018, 05:37

Sorry guys. been off line since Friday PM. just catching up now.
Old 30th January 2018, 06:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Familiar. Had a love affair with those type locaos since I first fired to one Tom.
I knew you had -- I think I used to watch you pull out of Victoria with the Boat Train --- I was the snotty nosed kid that had bought a penny platform ticket to stand by the engine.
Old 30th January 2018, 06:25

Quote:
I believe that apart from the Basset Lowke A2 hoisted up the mast I should fly Flag "G" initially. When we have our Pilot onboard Flag "H" will of course be flown.

I may be wrong with this - but in my time I normally did my own coastal pilotage.

Whatever, we will check, the correct signals will be shown and there will be some Scapa for the Pilot!

McC
Just to re-iterate --- Perhaps Mr. McCloggie will also hoist the "H" flag WHEN we embark the pilot.

Also for your information, I believe we have misplaced our "G" flag, but we do have a selection of "G" strings accumulated over the years that we hoist instead.

(One at a time that is -- not altogether -- we have enough excitement aboard as it is!
Old 30th January 2018, 06:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
Just let me see if I understand what is going on; we have a Basset Lowke A2 hoisted up the mast, we are offending, not defending. Now you are talking about Penguins and Philly Fliers and someone called Stanley. Butterfly, I am feeling a little like Alice must have felt when she went down the rabbit hole.

Can you, or anyone, explain to me what the hell is going on now aboard the GD or what it is that you have been taking.
In the main, we have been taking the "Mickey" (or extracting the Michael as practised in the better schools) out of one another, and also practising a little one upmanship, displaying our broad knowledge of steam engines. Just to set Sir Williams heart a little pitter patter have a boo at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujBxG5lA6M

and/or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNx-c7zUV8E
Old 30th January 2018, 07:56

Quote:
I knew you had -- I think I used to watch you pull out of Victoria with the Boat Train --- I was the snotty nosed kid that had bought a penny platform ticket to stand by the engine.
Hmmmm..Maybe you were that Kid with the snail trail up your right sleeve then ha ha
Tha only steamers i pulled a train from there with were School class loco's. Pulled many out with electric loco's though (hornbys we called them)
Old 30th January 2018, 08:07

Quote:
In the main, we have been taking the "Mickey" (or extracting the Michael as practised in the better schools) out of one another, and also practising a little one upmanship, displaying our broad knowledge of steam engines. Just to set Sir Williams heart a little pitter patter have a boo at this:

and/or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNx-c7zUV8E
Oh my goodness, the excitement of all the memories comming back Tom. I think I have had an organism thingy.
Old 30th January 2018, 09:42

Just to remain off thread ................(if anything about the GD and its people is off thread).
What is the steam blowing at the rear of the tender from at 1'30" of Tom's clip, please?
Geoff (YM)

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 30th January 2018 at 09:44.
Old 30th January 2018, 11:40

leaky steam heating pipe would my guess YM. Back in the day, drivers (before my time) would carry a piece of leather and a length of coiled wire to repair leaky vacuum hoses. suppose that would have helped with steam heating pipes too!
Old 30th January 2018, 12:14

Quote:
leaky steam heating pipe would my guess YM. Back in the day, drivers (before my time) would carry a piece of leather and a length of coiled wire to repair leaky vacuum hoses. suppose that would have helped with steam heating pipes too!
Thanks BB. Steam heating was all that I could imagine not that I know anything about it here in Oz although the NSWGR used in in places.

Here in Victoria we had two pulverised brown coal fired locos which had the exhaust from the dust blower (I think) coming out on top of the tender. Hot stuff I believe but too few and too late a/c diesels coming.

Leather and wire OK for vacuum no doubt but not Westinghouse! Just take hose off the front of the engine or the back of the van if you didn't have a spare.

Back to the GD after this little excursion ashore.
Old 30th January 2018, 12:41

Leakage does not normally happen on an A2 normally - but could we run any leakage back to the central heating? At least we are not wasting steam and would be in concurrence with current emission regulations!!!

I await CE TMacs views!

McC
Old 30th January 2018, 13:00

Speaking of Tmac, you better get your butt down the pit with a bottle of Black Bush in your hand before he blows a gasket.
Old 30th January 2018, 14:25

Quote:
Speaking of Tmac, you better get your butt down the pit with a bottle of Black Bush in your hand before he blows a gasket.
He is actually plumbed in now for Black Bush, little connection points to the line all over the place. Very impressive.