Go Back   Shipping History > Members Area > Looking for Information on Shipmates, Ships, Family or Friends?

Ss Borodino

Old 26th July 2018, 12:52

Ss Borodino

I have an interest in the Ellerman Wilson ship of this name built at Earle’s. I am familiar with the vessel’s role at the outbreak of WW1 for internment of German nationals and later use by the Admiralty at Scapa Flow. Final use was a block ship at Zeebrugge in 1940. However I have discovered the vessel was also requisitioned in 1935 and located at Aden. Has anyone details of the deployment where I assume the crew were Wilson’s?
Old 26th July 2018, 19:15

Looking at your photo, hope you never got blanco on your collar buttons, half an hours marching if you did (1951), don't know what years you were there, but parade every morning with inspection, including fly buttons and then an individual about-turn and bend over to show that buttons and braces were in correct place. including brass buttons on monkey jacket and waistcoat, plus trousers was something like 36 buttons.

Church Parade on Sundays with white trousers (duck canvas) Yellow when you get them, oiled oilskins with the oil running down your trousers when marching in the rain. (memories)
Old 26th July 2018, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJC 38 View Post
Looking at your photo, hope you never got blanco on your collar buttons, half an hours marching if you did (1951), don't know what years you were there, but parade every morning with inspection, including fly buttons and then an individual about-turn and bend over to show that buttons and braces were in correct place. including brass buttons on monkey jacket and waistcoat, plus trousers was something like 36 buttons.

Church Parade on Sundays with white trousers (duck canvas) Yellow when you get them, oiled oilskins with the oil running down your trousers when marching in the rain. (memories)
Trick was to blanco everything and then use an artist’s paintbrush soaked in water to clean the buttons off. Went through all of the above 1957-1960. Pyjama trousers under the duck trousers in winter...
Old 27th July 2018, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wismajorvik View Post
Pyjama trousers under the duck trousers in winter...

Oh Dear!

Wouldn't have got away with that in my sojourn