Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

Cruise ship punch ups

Old 19th February 2018, 01:46

Cruise ship punch ups

Oh Dear, the few spoil it for the many again.......http://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/n...ource=facebook
Old 19th March 2018, 10:44

Bruces' long weekend or rather, short weekend.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:36
Super Moderator

We had this on Canberra in 1972 on a three day cruise to Nowhere from Sydney. Punch ups, sheer vandalism and hooliganism by some groups of young passengers in the Tourist section. Canberra was two class in those days. Glasses were smashed, cigarette burns in carpets, lifebuoys thrown over board, fire extinguishers set off, and cricket bats and caps ripped off the bulkhead in the Cricketers Bar. One autographed Test Match bat was missing and an English Country Cap.

As far as I am aware, it was only covered in the press and radio in Sydney because there was not the media coverage of today, no Internet, mobile phones or anything like that. Problems like this were possibly widespread, but never reported unil now.

Canberra cruised off the northern NSW coast and turned east to Lord Howe Island and Balls Pyramid.

Last edited by pompeyfan; 19th March 2018 at 13:34. Reason: More information
Old 19th March 2018, 21:27

After all the fisticuffs, the choice of phrase "Several family members were kicked off the ship," could have been slightly more diplomatic.....
Old 20th March 2018, 13:11

never had this problem on the Coral Star Roy...lol
Old 20th March 2018, 18:01

Bloody big fat useless Purser. Couldn't kick the crap out of a guy on the deck. Only employ Scouser Pussers. As POTUS says, "Sad".
Old 16th June 2018, 11:31

vision-of-the-seas cruse ship descends-into-drugfueled-orgy-during-mediterranean-cruise

I thought this might have been 'spiced up reporting' when I first read the DM on line verslon. However the same story has since been covered by other media sources too.

Call me boring if you like, but are drug parties really sensible at sea?

Why were the staff turning a blind eye to hard drug pushers. Sri, I meant those selling meal deals!! They don't sell that type of meal deal at my local supermarket. Maybe it's because I live in the boring Westcountry. Not to mention the staff turning blind eye as well to most of those taking hard drugs top..

Yes, they throw a token ONE passenger off.

Shame on Channel 4 for thinking up such a stupid idea for a programne.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/06...ranean-cruise/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lled-orgy.html

Vision of the Seas Descends Into Drug-Fueled Orgy During Mediterranean Cruise?
PostSeas Anchored Party Last year, Royal Caribbean Cruises agreed with the producers of a reality television show called "Shipmates" to use the cruise line's Vision of the Seas in the filming of the program. Channel 4 TV in the UK used the Vision as the setting for what the producers describe as a "party-fueled luxury cruise ship" sailing in the Mediterranean Sea with a horde of thousands of 20 year-olds "seeking the ultimate party experience on the once-in-a-lifetime experience." Promoting a theme of "sun, sea & sass," the TV producers said that the partying shipmate contestants would compete in challenges where other passengers would vote the drunk participants as either winners or losers.

But last week it seems that Royal Caribbean got more than it bargained for.

Several newspapers in the UK report that a five-day cruise on the Vision, which started in Barcelona earlier this month and sailed to Cannes, Ibiza and Mallorca and returned to Barcelona, turned into a "drug fueled orgy" during the filming of the television show. Royal Caribbean charted its cruise ship to Anchored Cruises which promoted wild champagne-spray pool parties with DJ's pumping electronic music to the young, partying festival-like crowd.

Passengers stated that the crowd was smoking weed, snorting cocaine, and drinking excessively to the point that people were passing out around the pool and in corridors in the ship and had to be Vision of the Seas Anchored Cruisetaken back to their cabins in wheelchairs.

A crew member reportedly told one of the UK publications "Staff were being abused. Guests walked around the ship half naked. They were drunk and clearly on drugs. I’ve never seen anything like it."

Passengers people were reporting snorting cocaine . . . as "partygoers vomited in the swimming pool and over the ship's side." Another passenger reportedly said the cruise was "carnage on a new level of wrongness" and observed "group sex all over the 'lawless' ship, adding drink and drugs were so rife: 'I'm surprised no-one died.'"

You can see the debacle via tabloid publications like the Sun and the Daily Mail Online.

Royal Caribbean claims that it has a "zero tolerance policy for the use or possession of illegal drugs on our ships. Ship charters are held to the same strict standards. We operate with the health and safety of our guests and crew as our highest priority, and we cooperate fully with law enforcement when we are aware of violations."

This is a typical gobbledygook statement and the usual behavior by Royal Caribbean who often looks the other way when large scale drug use is exposed during events such as deadly Atlantis rave parties which the cruise line routinely hosts. Royal Caribbean is also well known for chartering its ships for swinger sex cruises.

Ironically, Royal Caribbean announced yesterday that it is purchasing a majority interest in the high-brow, ultra-luxurious cruise brand Silversea Cruises. Can you imagine this cruise line operating theVision of the Seas Anchored Cruise Silver Wind or Silver Shadow?

You can see other photos of the out-of-control cruise party on our Facebook page.

Anchored Cruise is already advertising a similar event on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship planned for 2019.

Have a comment? Please leave one below or join the discussion on our Facebook page.

Photo credits: Sun and Daily Mail.

Last edited by Lucy Knight; 16th June 2018 at 14:06.