Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Shipping Lines > Other Companies/Ships

Silver Line's Bandama

Old 18th May 2017, 08:58

Silver Line's Bandama

Originally built as Silveravon, but renamed Bandama shortly after completion, this fine ship continued to be manned by Silver Line officers. I served aboard for about a year - 1978/79. I completed this profile plan yesterday for my forthcoming book Good Hope to St Helena.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bandama final profile coloured Horizontal (Large).jpg (150.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 11th June 2017, 18:37

I was 2/e on the sister ship "Taabo". I agree, fine vessels.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:46

I helped Paint the S on the funnel!

Hello fellow Silverliners.

I was a deck cadet and subsequently 3/0 with Silverline from 1977 to 1982.

The Silveravon/Bandama was my second vessel.

I was instructed by Fetter Lane to fly out to Genoa at the end of February where I was met at the airport by a guy asking me if I was joining the Bandama to which I replied no the Silveravon. The crowds thinned until it was just us two left and we were then able to sort it out and it was then that I discovered the ship had been renamed!

When I got there the ship was having its Cell guides removed (these being the fabricated angle iron that containers would slot into).

I was put to work on the quayside with a paint roller to help write Sivomar down the side in orange and green paint.

We got underway and loaded general cargo in Marseilles before heading towards the Ivory Coast.

During the voyage, I had to change the lettering on the Lifeboat sales from SN to BA by removing the old lettering and sewing in new lettering.

I got a horrible cold with streaming eyes and nose and remember passing through the straights of Gibraltar whilst painting the funnel with the S and not being able to see Gibraltar through my streaming eyes, a real disappointment.

I remember you well Shelterdeck as you were a great miniature modeller and I saw your Algol which I was later to sail on.

I write this as the Covid19 virus takes hold in the UK and we are starting our lockdown. I have prepared for this and have got all the material I need for my own model of the Silverfalcon whose keel I have already laid.