Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > Navies > Royal Navy

Mtb 630

Old 2nd July 2023, 12:09

Mtb 630

When I was serving in the ship's company at BRNC Dartmouth 1957/8, MTB630 was secured in the River Dart, near the entrance to Old Mill Creek and was the summer home for Sea Rangers who would always wave to passing boats. I must have passed them in college boats scores of times and they never failed to wave. I understand that the MTB was there from 1952 or maybe earlier?

She may have been renamed (Lord Amery?) at some time? Does anyone know what happened to her?

Alick
Old 2nd July 2023, 20:15

MTB630 :-

Ordered as one of a batch of 24 boats on 27th April 1941. All boats were originally to be MGB's but were all modified to be MTB's.

Built by Alex Robertson (Yachtbuilders) & Sons Ltd. Sandbank. Scotland. Completed 5th November 1942.

Allocated to Sea Cadet Corps in 1945 and sold in 1949 (Presumably to the Sea Rangers.)

I vaguely remember seeing a "D" Fairmile moored on the Dart in 1968/1969. She was in very poor condition and had disappeared by 1970. It is possible she had been acquired in the 1960's for accommodation by a business that hired out sailing yachts for a holiday afloat. (They also owned a Fairmile "B" that was in very poor condition as well as the paddle steamer Duke of Devonshire.)
Old 3rd July 2023, 11:14

Mtb630

Thank you for your prompt response, Dartskipper

I was enquiring on behalf of ex-Sea Rangers on another website and have posted your reply (text only) on their thread.

Many thanks!

Alick
Old 3rd July 2023, 11:53

Only happy to help!

Roy.