Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Nostalgia - Days Gone Bye

Soton Docks circa 1964

Old 22nd June 2017, 08:14

I should have said that being new to Win10 earlier this year, I found that there was no file transfer available, so I had to buy Microsoft Office 2016. Again another learning curve. Stumping up £100 for a piece of cardboard with a scratch card on it was a new experience. I was tempted with the cheaper Office 365, but luckily decided on the proper version. Reading the small print shows that 365 means how long it lasts before you have to buy another 365 product.

David
+
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I am on Win10 v 1607 OS build 14393.1066, Edge and whatever basic stuff came with it earlier this year. No problem watching the video. I did note that Adobe Flash was not available, but I seem to manage very well without it.

I have watched the whole video this time. My time was 1965-66. Outspan oranges had progressed to cardboard boxes, so progress of sorts. Towards the end of the video it mentions 'valves' as being part of export cargo !! Though this was 'normal' for us oldies, it IS 50 years ago, and my, how things have changed

David
+
Certainly a good advert for the Docks bearing in mind of the items that were exported out of there (according to the superb clipped tone voice over) came from Towns that had their own Docks which general cargo was exported through.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:10

The clipped tones are Richard Baker, one time news reader. The mixture of things like valves, Healey 3000, Austin 1100, sight of the meals eaten in the canteen and so on, must give a date around 1960. Very much a time of transition.
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:28
Super Moderator

Depends on the system being used it appears. I could not view via Google chrome but it worked a treat using Microsoft Edge on W10. I have found that 10 does somethings without even asking. I have found recently that I have a new Scan facility and that the scan facility on my printer does not work. I have to do some changes in Setting to make it the preferential printer/scanner again.

Enjoyed the film - doesn't everything look old fashioned. Even the people look old and most probably young with families. Dockies with waste coats and jackets. Loved it.

Neville
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
The clipped tones are Richard Baker, one time news reader. The mixture of things like valves, Healey 3000, Austin 1100, sight of the meals eaten in the canteen and so on, must give a date around 1960. Very much a time of transition.
That Healey looked superb, I should have twigged it was Richard Baker as I was at a lecture given by him for RNR Officers of which he was one. Mind, it was a long time ago.
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:27

I think it is the numbers of people working at each task. When the oranges were loaded in SA - PE & Cape Town in our case - they came to the dock side in railway waggons hauled by huge steam engines, and were manhandled off the loading palettes by large gangs of dockers and stowed individually into the hold. It took several days. I suppose you could call the reefers 'bulk carriers' in a sort of way

David
+

Last edited by David; 23rd June 2017 at 19:29.
Old 23rd June 2017, 19:26

From the same period, a view of the France approaching the Ocean Terminal.

David
+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg France arriving at Soton.jpg (265.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 1st July 2017, 11:01

Curious about this vessel shown in the film, anybody have any info on her please?
She appears to be a former series two RAF Seaplane Tender built by British Power Boats during WW2 and looks well kept, she has a name which I cannot make out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (102.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 1st July 2017, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadburn View Post
Curious about this vessel shown in the film, anybody have any info on her please?
She appears to be a former series two RAF Seaplane Tender built by British Power Boats during WW2 and looks well kept, she has a name which I cannot make out.

Chad, I had a working model of one of those boats and it was an RAF tender with all the markings. As an aside, I got it for getting my 11plus in 1955.....all my mates that passed got bikes!!!

JJ.
Old 1st July 2017, 20:25

One of George Selmans superb Hull designs JJ which was later scaled up to form the lovely Hants and Dorsets Hulls. Selmans design principles are still used today but in plastic.
Old 2nd December 2017, 17:15
Super Moderator

What a superb wallow in nostalgia ......
Cheers for the link .....
Old 25th July 2022, 12:22

oranges !

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I am on Win10 v 1607 OS build 14393.1066, Edge and whatever basic stuff came with it earlier this year. No problem watching the video. I did note that Adobe Flash was not available, but I seem to manage very well without it.

I have watched the whole video this time. My time was 1965-66. Outspan oranges had progressed to cardboard boxes, so progress of sorts. Towards the end of the video it mentions 'valves' as being part of export cargo !! Though this was 'normal' for us oldies, it IS 50 years ago, and my, how things have changed

David
+

oranges and an outspan title - shipped aboard a ccal vessel from south africa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orange1.jpg (94.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg orange2.jpg (170.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg orange3.jpg (46.0 KB, 20 views)