Go Back   Shipping History > Miscellaneous/Other forum Issues > Books, Magazines, TV, Video & Publications

My new book due out in October 2022

Old 8th September 2022, 00:04

My new book due out in October 2022

Link below to my new book, Skinning Out -My time at sea and jumping ship in New Zealand.

Due out 3rd October. Would appreciate reviews on Amazon and feedback here, if you think it merits it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0473648326/

Regards Phil
Old 3rd October 2022, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil saul View Post
Link below to my new book, Skinning Out -My time at sea and jumping ship in New Zealand.

Due out 3rd October. Would appreciate reviews on Amazon and feedback here, if you think it merits it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0473648326/

Regards Phil
My book is released today, 3rd October 2022.
My publisher tells me that he is impressed with the number of pre-orders, so a big thank you to those of you who have pre-ordered.
I appreciate your support and hope you enjoy the read.
Regards Phil
Old 23rd December 2022, 01:12

Just received my first ever royalty payment for my book!!
$14.89!!
A big thank you to the person who bought my book !!
Old 23rd December 2022, 02:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil saul View Post
Just received my first ever royalty payment for my book!!
$14.89!!
A big thank you to the person who bought my book !!
Ah, Phil! A tale of woe for me: Amazon first said,"Delivery Delayed". After waiting several weeks, I got, "Package Lost". I then had to get in contact with them and ask for a refund (which I received). I will try again next week, once the full Xmas rush is over.

All the best for Chrimbo! Take care.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 26th December 2022, 02:40

Cheers Dave, I'm still waiting for my Amazon payment.
Sometime in the New Year apparently!!
All the very best.
Regards Phil
Old 26th December 2022, 15:59

Ordered your book from Amazon.com $4.99 (your cut may be small). Read it on my Kindle and was kept entertained for 3 or 4 nights. Cheers.
Old 27th December 2022, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Ordered your book from Amazon.com $4.99 (your cut may be small). Read it on my Kindle and was kept entertained for 3 or 4 nights. Cheers.
Thanks for your support, very much appreciated. When I wrote it, I never seriously expected to see it published and if the royalties cover some of the cost of publishing, the wife might get off my back!!
Every contribution helps and hope you enjoyed the read.
Regards Phil
Old 7th January 2023, 01:44

Hi Phil,

I finally received, read and enjoyed many aspects of your book. The way it was, even though I only was active in BF at the bitter end. While many may think aspects were exaggerated, I can confirm from mates that it was how it was! Ringbolting, Aussie Coast etc. I only ever got to the Middle/Far East, US West and East Coast, Panama, Suez. I always have regretted that I never docked in the 'Pool/B'head, to invite my Dad aboard. Indeed, I never touched a UK port, being on Barber Blue Sea, out of New York.

Take care and enjoy your retirement! Maybe you can take your Royalties down for one last night at Ma Gleason's or another dive!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 7th January 2023, 09:41

Does Club Ship Landfall ring any bells.
Old 7th January 2023, 16:35

Would that be anything to do with the famous telephone line ashore, a vital duty for the R/O!

A story told to me by Ron "Motorbike" Griffiths, C/S: Senior officers in Blue Funnel used to take their cars with them to OZ until there was, inevitably, a fatal crash. About three were killed and another two hospitalized. The Master did his nut, as he was undermanned and had to borrow officers off another Bluey that came in. Personal vehicles were immediately banned and rental cars were also frowned on!

Ron told me the story as I had asked him why he was known as "Motorbike". He took his motor bike with him and got permission to sign off in China. He then rode the bike back to Wallasey! Well, unfortunately, he only got as far as Lime St. in Liverpool as his bike broke down and he had to get the train to New Brighton, leaving the bike parked up in the station. It turned out that there was a hole in the piston! He was a real character and one of the "good" C/S, always turning out good food and bond for all.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 8th January 2023, 00:26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makko View Post
Hi Phil,

I finally received, read and enjoyed many aspects of your book. The way it was, even though I only was active in BF at the bitter end. While many may think aspects were exaggerated, I can confirm from mates that it was how it was! Ringbolting, Aussie Coast etc. I only ever got to the Middle/Far East, US West and East Coast, Panama, Suez. I always have regretted that I never docked in the 'Pool/B'head, to invite my Dad aboard. Indeed, I never touched a UK port, being on Barber Blue Sea, out of New York.

Take care and enjoy your retirement! Maybe you can take your Royalties down for one last night at Ma Gleason's or another dive!

Best Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for your comments re. my book and glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
It definitely wasn't exaggerated for effect. If anything, I toned it down a bit, as even I wasn't game enough to relate some of my experiences.
When I set out to write it, I was determined not to gloss over anything and make it as factual as I could, while not dropping any of my shipmates in it.
Unfortnately, Ma Gleasons, the Snake Pit, etc. are long gone, as is most of the Auckland waterfront as we knew it, sadly.
I came across Motorbike Griffiths a few times on the Blue Funnel catering shoregang but being a boy rating, I never really got to know him. Heard that he was a good guy though.
Once again, thanks for your comments and support re. my book. Very much appreciated.

Regards Phil
Old 24th January 2023, 19:04

My book sold extremely well in the UK. Not so much the rest of the world but a big thank you to all of you who purchased a copy, I appreciate your support.
Still ticking along on Kindle, so can't complain.
Thank you to all of you who contacted me and gave book reviews.
Regards Phil
Old 4th April 2023, 21:11

I've just been advised by Tauranga library, my local library, that they are going to add my book to their collection.
Dad enrolled me at my local library in the UK as a five-year old when I started school.
Obviously, I couldn't read but took books home for Mum and Dad to read to me.
I always thought about how neat it would be having a book on the shelves but never thought it would ever eventuate.
Well now it has and I can't wait to see it there.
Despite Tauranga being a major port in NZ, the library has the worst sea-farers section of books than any other library that I have belonged to.
Old 9th April 2023, 14:50

Congratulations. An achievement indeed.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 9th April 2023, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Congratulations. An achievement indeed.
Thank you. Your comments very much appreciated.
Regards Phil
Old 9th April 2023, 22:57

Re #6.

You have probably retired to Monte Carlo by this stage with your agent finalising a book tour ending with slots on Graham Norton and Oprah. With your reputation please don't let the MN down by staring down Oprah's cleavage, ample though it is.
Old 11th April 2023, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Re #6.

You have probably retired to Monte Carlo by this stage with your agent finalising a book tour ending with slots on Graham Norton and Oprah. With your reputation please don't let the MN down by staring down Oprah's cleavage, ample though it is.
I wish!! Recouping my publishing costs is still some way off, but a slot on Oprah would be 'ample' reward.
Regards Phil
Old 2nd October 2023, 23:57

One year to the day since my book Skinning Out was published.
Still ticking over on Amazon.