Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Radio Room

Pranks played on 1st trippers at sea

Old 29th June 2018, 11:59

On one ship with deck cadets , the mate sent them to the engine room for red , green and white lamp oil , little bottle of food colouring from the galley , he got what he asked for , always wondered if the cadet knew it was a joke
Old 1st July 2018, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
On my very first trip as 2nd Sparks on "Coventry City" I was given a cabin intended for 2 deck cadets, but as they had never carried cadets, the furnishings etc. were all unused. I was having difficulties getting the draws in the desk and under the bunk to move in and out whilst stowing my gear.
I became aware of a benign looking character in a boiler suit looking in the door, "draws a bit stiff" he observed, "hang on I've got something for that"
He came back with furnisher polish and a couple of yellow cloths. "Take all the draws out and give the sides and runners a vigorous polish." I thanked him and proceeded as instructed. I later learned in the bar that he was the 2/E Will Hay, who I am glad to say I sailed with on several other voyages.

Any way, sailed from Avon mouth into a good Atlantic gale and all my draws shot onto the deck!

The 2/E came past my cabin again and said "you might need this" and handed me some sand paper.
Best Wishes
Alan

Thanks for posting this Alan,it's a nice memory of my Dad

Ian
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hay View Post
Thanks for posting this Alan,it's a nice memory of my Dad

Ian

Its a great pleasure, one of life's true gentlemen. We had jazz and big band sessions around the stereogram. Your dad would bring records that he had bought ashore and I would replace the stylus with one that I kept for new records. He had a lot patience and tolerance of young people like myself (and junior engineers) and helped make my first voyage to sea tolerable in spite of home sickness and sea sickness.

As I said before, I was lucky to sail with him on several more voyages over the next eight years or so and when I remember people I sailed with, he is always the first to come to mind

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 22nd August 2018, 13:06

We managed to convince one first tripper that Sunday at sea meant we all gathered for a church service held by the Old Man and then we did square dancing for an hour afterwards.Full uniform to be worn.
Old 22nd August 2018, 16:19

I recall being on the first Type 42 destroyer in Rosyth to have a small complement of WRNS as ships company, must have been about 1990/1991.

Once we had completed trials and work ups in the UK we deployed to the Gulf, in preparation - we all had our inoculations, dozens of them - including anthrax (thanks to Sadam), typical of the military, many of the pussers standard inoculations were abbreviated to either 3 or 4 letters, so one morning a list appears on the notice board outside the Routine office.

"All newly joined female ratings are to report to the sickbay at 0800 tomorrow to receive a pre deployment M.E.A.T injection by the Ships Doctor"

10 of the 26 girls onboard were mustered outside the sickbay door the following morning, all waiting for a very surprised Surgeon Lieutenant, who was beside himself when he found the reason that all of today's patients were waiting for a non existent inoculation!

He never found out which joker onboard had posted the note on the noticeboard!

Nicholas Monsarrat
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:38

Brilliant!!
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:43

Heard of a story about an Admiral and his Wife visiting a warship which was anchored off. The ship was cleaned up special for the occasion. a brooche was made for the Admirals wife and painstakingly colored in to show some internation code flags. It was presented and the good lady was so very pleased. Shortly afterwards she noticed people smiling at it. A signals officer noticed it and discretely removed it explaing that it was incorrect. It read "permission to lay alongside"